PC slow to start then works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ididmyc600

Hi

bit of a strange one this and i'll admit im stumped a bit...

Here's the reason

A friend gave me his pc a while back, its a tesco Iqon pc, and it was running really slow at startup, im talking a load time of 4 minutes then once its at desktop clicking IE takes another 2 minutes to load the homepage...however once its done it actually runs quite well

I did all the usual things, trimmed the startup files, moved all the crap out of his profile, ran a defrag on the HDD and then tried again

Same result..still taking an age to load up.

I booted from Hirens boot cd and checked performance using the tools on it and i cant find any issues with anything on the mainboard such as memory etc etc.

Ok so i then backed up all his data and ran a the inbuilt restore function and set the PC back to its factory setting, i copied back the data and all seemed to be ok.

I gave it him back and left it at that..............

However within a month it was back to its old self, running like a beetle in molasses at startup again.

Saving time i redid a backup of his data and restored it again,

This time i made his kids account (sorry didnt mention that earlier) into a limited account just in case they were doing something to it, although nothing showed up in any scan i did on it, and then gave it him back.

Once again within a few weeks it was back to its old geriatric self and was really annoying him.

The only programs he loaded on it were ones i had given him that were ok on my pc and were virus free.

This time before running a restore i ghosted the entire drive onto a new 40Gb drive i have and then did a restore and then added each program in turn,,it was only when i loaded IE7 that i noticed that this was probably the cause of it as once loaded the pc started to exhibit the extended load time and then taking an age to load the IE homepage.

A google on IE7 running slow revealed some hints and tips which i tried but didn't seem to make any difference to this PC.

Ive lent him a PC to use for now as the kids need to use it for school work and its here now just waiting for me to find a reason for it,,, personally i would like to hit it with a big hammer as i think its a pile of sh*t.

So to summarise

Its had a new HDD there are no issues found with the hardware
it runs slow once IE7 is added ( at least it may be IE7 but the jury is still out on it)
it works fine for a while then starts to slow down to a crawl....

Any ideas what to do next?

Hi

errr it is IE7 thats causing the problem i think,,,please read the post fully before answering.

Kimsland,,,,viri or spyware were my first thoughts,,, however as i said this happens before its even gone on the net.....standard windows firewall and i loaded avast free version on it as well...

Clean fan on CPU and nothing else is dirty (actually its the cleanest pc ive ever seen).

I did add malwarebytes the last time i did it,,, that didnt report anything...

I may be getting the hammer out soon

ahh right sorry scuzzo, i think i may have found the cause,

i never thought to check the actual installed memory, turns out its a 256mb ddr2 chip, i had a spare 512mb in my other pc and tried that, it seems now to be running a much quicker startup time.

i used memtest86 to check the memory and it didnt find any faults with it...but from experience i know that this isnt always a true indicator of memory condition,, ive advised the owner to buy 1gb of ddr2 and we'll see how things go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back