TechSpot

PC slows down when playing games..

By Malak
Jun 14, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey. Alright, so I've been playing games on this PC for a while now and had no problems. FFXI and recently bought Guild Wars. But all of a sudden, whenever I play games the PC slows down then locks up. I have to CTRL + ALT + DEL out of the game to get the system back, or sometimes even have to manually shut down the computer because it just freezes. I even reformatted thinking it was something with my computer, but it still happens.. It even boots up in the slow state that I tried to get rid of by rebooting sometimes.

Specs are:
    AMD Athlan XP 1600+
    1.41 GHz, 256 MB RAM
    NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200 28 MB
    DirectX 9.0c, using 56.64 video drivers because newer ones don't seem to work well

Thanks in advance..
  2. PaulWuzHere

PaulWuzHere TS Maniac Posts: 378

Hey, I remember a system like that!

I used to have an Athlon 1600+ with a 5200! Man... that was a stable PC. Anyway, It may be time for you to cut your losses and upgrade. I know its a painful wallet hurting thought but trust me. Once i upgraded a bit I was very happy. All i spent was about $300 lol
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.