PC startup problem,what to check next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My PC has problems starting up.

When no power has been running to it, even for a moment (ie it's been switched off at the back) and I start it again, it starts up, lights flash, there's no beeps but no display. Fans whirl, HD sounds are heard but it doesn't go further.

However, after a few tries it is OK. What's more, from this point I can shut down the PC and start it again from the front switch and it's fine. So long as I don't turn off the main power supply.

My initial thought was the power supply maybe dirty or old, so I swapped that out for a better one (from 300W to 500W) but it still has this exact problem.

What kind of things can I check or do?

Thanks

Martin

woot

I had this exact same problem. A little different but similar. My old Power Supply (power cool 500 watt) would work fine as long as it constantly had power. Yet if i removed the power cable, or if i switched the power supply in the back, the next time i press the power button only fans and lights came on. My Hard Drives wouldnt spin up, so when I recieved my X1950 radeon, i decided to put a new Power Supply (600 Watt Mad Dog) and now everything works fine. As far as your problem, I would say eigther the Power Supply (less likely since you just replaced it) or the MotherBoard. If you could please post your System specs, I will gladly try to help.

Hi and thanks for the reply. System is:

AMD Athlon XP, 1049 MHz
2048MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
BIOS American Megatrends Inc. P2.60 10/20/2004
System Board Asrock K7S8X. 3.0

Thanks

your battery back up may not be good. Idon't know if computers still use this but there is a small (usually 3 volt) battery on the motherboard that needs tobe changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back