TechSpot

PC startup problem,what to check next?

By cubmar
Jan 26, 2007
  1. Hi all,

My PC has problems starting up.

When no power has been running to it, even for a moment (ie it's been switched off at the back) and I start it again, it starts up, lights flash, there's no beeps but no display. Fans whirl, HD sounds are heard but it doesn't go further.

However, after a few tries it is OK. What's more, from this point I can shut down the PC and start it again from the front switch and it's fine. So long as I don't turn off the main power supply.

My initial thought was the power supply maybe dirty or old, so I swapped that out for a better one (from 300W to 500W) but it still has this exact problem.

What kind of things can I check or do?

Thanks

Martin

2. gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook TS Rookie Posts: 320

woot

I had this exact same problem. A little different but similar. My old Power Supply (power cool 500 watt) would work fine as long as it constantly had power. Yet if i removed the power cable, or if i switched the power supply in the back, the next time i press the power button only fans and lights came on. My Hard Drives wouldnt spin up, so when I recieved my X1950 radeon, i decided to put a new Power Supply (600 Watt Mad Dog) and now everything works fine. As far as your problem, I would say eigther the Power Supply (less likely since you just replaced it) or the MotherBoard. If you could please post your System specs, I will gladly try to help.

3. cubmar

cubmar TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi and thanks for the reply. System is:

AMD Athlon XP, 1049 MHz
    2048MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
    BIOS American Megatrends Inc. P2.60 10/20/2004
    System Board Asrock K7S8X. 3.0

Thanks

4. russ

russ TS Rookie Posts: 39

your battery back up may not be good. Idon't know if computers still use this but there is a small (usually 3 volt) battery on the motherboard that needs tobe changed

5. gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook TS Rookie Posts: 320

When you Swapped out power supplies, did you swap it with a new or used one?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.