PC switches off on it's own accord!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.

I'm hoping someone could help me with this problem I have with my PC.
For the last 2 months my PC would switch off without warning, whether I'm browsing the internet or playing games. The monitor screen will instantly go black and the power would switch off instantly without any noise such as bleeping. I have tried to re-boot the PC from the power button via the tower but it will not respond, unless I leave the PC for at least 24 hours! The local repair shop has fitted a new fan, new hardrive (needed a new one) they checked the power supply and cannot see any fault. I currently have Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition an AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+, I also have ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES graphics card and a 200 GB hardrive.

The suggestion from the repair shop is to replace the graphics card, if that fails then possibly a new motherboard etc etc (elimination process as they would call it) and I fear I could spend hundreds of pounds when in fact it could be something minor.

I have checked the error log on the PC and there is nothing to report.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Jono

:D

Welcome to TechSpot

Open the PC. Upon booting, check that all fans (especially on the CPU) come on.
Once your PC has been running for say about an hour, reboot it, go immediately into the BIOS and check the temperatures.
Alternatively, go to www.lavalys.com and get the free Everest Home Edition. This can also show you the CPU and mobo temperatures.
Could be your CPU is overheating. Are there any dustbunnies in your PC and/or that CPU-fan?

Hi Realblackstuff,

many thanks for your help. The repair shop told me that the fan above the chipset had been checked. They cleaned the fan and aslo added a gel solution to help the fan's heating.

I have downloaded the software and the reading for the cpu is:

Field Value
CPU Clock 2087.73 MHz

Field Value
Tsystem 34 °C (93 °F)
Field Value
Tcpu 44 °C (111 °F)
Field Value
Fcpu 3750 RPM
Field Value
Fcase 4272 RPM

Is this normal? The PC has been running for only 30/40 min.

Thanks again

Jono

Those temps are fine.
Could it be that the house's power is not stable?
Have a desklamp on while you are computing. When it reboots you will notice if the light flickers, goes weaker or whatever. This is not a scientific test, but might give an indication if you have brownouts in the area. You could compensate for this (it that is the problem) by getting a UPS of 500vA or stronger.

My PC did this once, i got so peed of with i took it apart and bought a new PC, after a while and using differnt parts from the PC on other pcs, I have i have decided that the source of MY problem was the RAM.

Something to try: Take the 'memory sticks' out (are found on the motherboard they are usually clipped in) and then put them back in. When i did this to mine it made it work for a few weeks before it went dodgy again.

If this is the case then ur memory is probaby dodgy which is no problem cus some ram doesnt cos so much nowdays!

Another thing to try is (provided such a wire exists in your PC) unplug the wire that goes from the CD Drive to the soundboard. (used for playing CDs i think) Then see if it turns off.

I say this because mine seemed to work when i unpugged this wire
These are temorary they are just to help you find the source of the problem.
Otherwise i duno what to suggest

Let me know what happens

Ben

Thanks for the advice Realblackstuff/Ben.

I will buy the UPS, it could be the problem. The house does have problems like power surges and only this morning my bedroom light popped!

Another thing is the psu. I don't know if I'm being taken for a ride but I wonder if the repair shop is leading me on. I originally requested for a new psu only for them to say their is no problem with it, yet this could be the reason why I cannot re-boot the pc after it switches itself off.

Could a graphics card allow the PC to switch off like this? This is what the repair shop is thinking.

go to www.memtest86.org (or .com) and get memtest86. Install on a floppy and let run for 5 cycles. Do this with each separate memory-module and both together if you have 2 modules.
Fill in 'User Profile' (top left) and give specifics of powersupply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back