PC takes an age to switch on

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all :)
my problem is - it takes me ages to start my PC.
I press the on/off button,the button flashes and the motor inside seems to be turning over - it finally kicks in and switches on after about 1/2 an hour of pressing the button.
When the PC does finally go on it works fine.

any advice would be great - i am clueless with PCs :(

many thanx,

Locky.

Not necessarily an evil. Some models of some brands are designed to appear to take longer to boot up, but that time is used to improve the protections in the system.
However, any thing over 9 to 12 minutes is a precursor of real trouble. No PC should take a half hour. You have either a corrupted Windows install, viruses, spyware, or a bad install of any of a number of software programs.

read the "Speed up your PC" guide in the guides forum.

I also think your HD is going bad and/or is corrupted. Backup now.

it may be your PSU ,
i once had that same exact problem my pc would only switch on after half an hour after i pressed the button...
and Tedster i think he was referring to..the pc does not get any power..

thanx for the advice,much appreciated.
i'm relieved to know its not terminal,i'll look into getting a new psu - hopefully that will do the trick.
its funny,i got the pc switched on 1st time an hour or so after my original post,then about an hour later i tried again and finally after 25 mins of pressing the on button it fired up :)

thanx again,
Locky.

Wait, i had the same problem and it turned out to be a bad IDE dvd drive. Try disconnecting your CD/DVD drive, and booting the computer. Worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back