PC to 40" LCD 1080p, where should i start?

By bettadaze
Dec 13, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ive searched the boards and found a few good replies, but was hoping to get something a lil more specific to my setup.

Recently purchased a Samsung 40" LCD 1080p. I dont have it fully setup yet, but I was wondering what a good starting point would be if I wanted to connect my PC. I only have 128mb ATI card right now.

When upgrading, what should the minimum specs on a graphics card be? Im a newbie at graphics. Ive been looking at a couple with HDMI outputs. Cant get too crazy, hoping for a moderately priced card.

Would 256mb w/HDMI be safe, or should I shop around and get the 512mb with HDMI.

Appreciate any help.
  2. kitty500cat

kitty500cat Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,407   +6

What is your motherboard's model? If it has PCI Express x16, you might try something like a nVidia 7900GT. Just a suggestion

Welcome to TechSpot! :wave: Nice to meet you, bettadaze. ;)

--kitty
  3. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,438

You wouldnt need a 512mb Videocard unless you are doing some heavy 3D editing and rendering

But I would do what kitty500cat said about getting the 7900GT because it's a very good card :D
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,271   +257

You don't necessarily need to get a video card with HDMI. I've been running with a DVI->HDMI cable (not adapter - cable) since the video card doesn't send out any audio anyway. You can get these cables relatively cheap ($25-100) depending on where you get them. This way you can use your current card to connect to your set. The machine I have hooked up to my TV is only a Radeon 9800 All in Wonder and it works just fine for its uses. Keep in mind that I don't play any games on it at 1920x1080.
  5. bettadaze

bettadaze Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

nice to be here, just found the boards a few days ago.

actually been looking at the GTs more.

dont know the model off hand. the current card is PCI for sure. its kind of new...6 months old?

should i stick with looking for something with an HDMI, or more memory (512mb) that will have DVI or Svideo?

cool. i wont be doing any editing, etc.
    just mainly for ease of use, when having something as xvid, etc.
    already got the 15ft dvi-to-hdmi cable for about $25, which was nice. then i realized i really didnt have the dvi output on my card lol.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.