PC to 40" LCD 1080p, where should i start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive searched the boards and found a few good replies, but was hoping to get something a lil more specific to my setup.

Recently purchased a Samsung 40" LCD 1080p. I dont have it fully setup yet, but I was wondering what a good starting point would be if I wanted to connect my PC. I only have 128mb ATI card right now.

When upgrading, what should the minimum specs on a graphics card be? Im a newbie at graphics. Ive been looking at a couple with HDMI outputs. Cant get too crazy, hoping for a moderately priced card.

Would 256mb w/HDMI be safe, or should I shop around and get the 512mb with HDMI.

Appreciate any help.

What is your motherboard's model? If it has PCI Express x16, you might try something like a nVidia 7900GT. Just a suggestion

Welcome to TechSpot! :wave: Nice to meet you, bettadaze. ;)

--kitty

You wouldnt need a 512mb Videocard unless you are doing some heavy 3D editing and rendering

But I would do what kitty500cat said about getting the 7900GT because it's a very good card :D

You don't necessarily need to get a video card with HDMI. I've been running with a DVI->HDMI cable (not adapter - cable) since the video card doesn't send out any audio anyway. You can get these cables relatively cheap ($25-100) depending on where you get them. This way you can use your current card to connect to your set. The machine I have hooked up to my TV is only a Radeon 9800 All in Wonder and it works just fine for its uses. Keep in mind that I don't play any games on it at 1920x1080.

nice to be here, just found the boards a few days ago.

actually been looking at the GTs more.

dont know the model off hand. the current card is PCI for sure. its kind of new...6 months old?

should i stick with looking for something with an HDMI, or more memory (512mb) that will have DVI or Svideo?

cool. i wont be doing any editing, etc.
just mainly for ease of use, when having something as xvid, etc.
already got the 15ft dvi-to-hdmi cable for about $25, which was nice. then i realized i really didnt have the dvi output on my card lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back