PC was slow, now boot manager missing?

By tmhodgson
Aug 6, 2009
  1. Ok, here's the deal: I woke up yesterday morning and turned on my laptop, and I noticed that everything was running a little slow, and a lot was freezing up. It's gotten progressively worse and even Windows Task Manager says (Not Responding). Now here's the worst part. I was trying to download the free AVG virus protection software since my Symantec expired. I figured it must be a virus, spyware, malware, trojan, whatever. I had a the Windows malware thing running and then everything just stopped. Explorer, AVG, Malicious Software Removal, everything quit, so I tried to open Task Manager and it wouldn't work. So i shut down my comp and now when I try to restart it no luck, it says that it failed to restart and gives me options to open Command Prompt or do System Restore. I have no restore points and I can't find the system restore disk. I've only had this comp since december and I don't know what went so terribly wrong. Please help.
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

you're going to have to either get a new manufacturer disk or buy a copy of the OS to install.

if you still have issues, then it's hardware related.
  3. tmhodgson

tmhodgson TS Rookie Topic Starter

well i've found the recovery disk but now it won't even start, it says that boot manager is missing
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

You should be able to start a complete or full restore by booting from the RESTORE CD. If it still fails, your hard drive may be bad
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.