PC will not load up

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinklady

Hi all,

It has been a while since i have posted, so hello to you all.

My friend has asked me to post this as she is having a problem with her pc. It will not load up, at first she thought it was the monitor as the monitor says "no video output" but she took the monitor to a friends house and it worked fine. The tower lights up and you can hear the computer making a sound as if it is loading up, but there is nothing coming up on the monitor (it is black)

Computer make and model is Iqon technologies N09-01284

Monitor make is Philips Model 170S6FS-00

I would be grateful if anyone could help, it is like the blind leading the blind x

How old is your friend's Igon N09-01284, and is it a laptop or desktop computer. It appears it is a desktop, and the Phillips monitor is an excellent model
Are you talking about booting from the hard drive?
Age of the hard drive will make a difference... if it is a Hitachi, Maxtor, or TriGem drive it could be bad.
First test is to see if it will boot in <SAFE MODE> by pressing the <F8> button repeatedly once per second as soon as she presses the on button. If it works in safe mode, then she likely has a bad video graphics card or bad driver.

Thanks for the reply raybay x The computer is a desktop.

When she switches on the computer the on/off switch lights up and you can hear the computer inside the tower working, but there is no picture appearing on the monitor. The monitor is on and working fine, as i said in my previous post it has been tested on another computer.[/B][/COLOR]

I think the computer is roughly 18 months/2 years old but has had little use.

All the leads are connected fine.

I asked her to try and start in safe mode but it did not apparently work.

Cheers for your help x

Sorry, I cannot find a thing on the Igon N09-02184, but the video card is the obvious problem (if there is one installed). Otherwise a memory module, or possibly a hard drive or memory, despite what you hear... but at this point it could be anything... failed memory module, failed video graphics card, video graphics driver has gone bad, power supply partial failure, cpu fan failure.
Try everything you can to get something on the screen...
Do you have access to the computer so as to open the case or look at the back to see if the video is coming out of an onboard socket or a video card?
First, we should rule out the monitor. Can you get access to another computer to plug into that monitor and test. If it is good on another system, we can rule that out as a problem. Or put another monitor onto that computer to see what works.
Next, I would remove one memory module to see if there is a difference. Then remove that one and try the other. If it works the same with either module, that rules out another problem.
Is the power supply fan turning freely?. CPU fan turning freely? Any disks installed in the optical drive(s)? They fail often enough and can affect other components when they do.
Don't rule out a Windows error. Try booting to a CD.
The idea is to try everything you can think of to get a screen, and to rule out every possibility, one at a time.
Oh, and, aahh... if it has a floppy drive, boot to an old DOS or Windows 95/97/Me disk.

Please be patient with me as i am not very good with computers but will try and fix them myself. The monitor, we think, is ok as we have tried it on another computer and it was working fine.

She seems to think it was working fine until her 9 year old plugged his ipod into the computer (he says it asked him to press F9) don't know if that will help diagnose anything.

oh the computer is 3 1/2 years old but hardly gets used.

I am sorry but most of the advice is a little foreign to me so you will have to take me through things.

Thanks for your patience.

That makes sense, somehow.
But fixing it is more complicated...
Has the USB flash drive been removed, of is it still plugged into the USB socket?
Unless the USB flash drive was damaged, it should not have caused a problem... They do become easily damaged, however, and when they are any kind of error can occur.
The problem remains the same. No screen we can view to figger out the easiest way to fix it...
Unfortunately it is best that you find a tech with some competence to examine the problem... This could have been a software error or a virus that was picked up from the device that was plugged in, or it could have been an electrical error from a short created by a defective componet.
People at TechSpot can spend a lot of time guessing, but you need somebody who can look it over in person to avoid damage. Some friend or relative with tech knowledge may quickly figger it out... But the device plugged in has become part of the repair.

Thank you Raybay for your help. I just thought i would update you on my friends PC, it has completely broken and is unable to be fixed. Thanks for your help x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back