PC will not post, no video signal, but Mobo power light is on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here's my situation. My PC shut down when I was playing World of Warcraft. I know for a fact the problem was the video card. I was running a Radeon x1650 Pro - which needs at least 350w - with a power supply that had 260w max. The PC wouldn't even power-on again until I removed the card. The card had a burn on it and one of the electrical compnents on the card was partially melted. Now, I put the stock video card back into the PC - a Radeon 9200 - and the system powers up. However, I get no video signal and no beeps. Nothing. I can hear the hard drive quietly spinning, but the only time the orange HDD indicator LED (on the front of the PC) works is when I open either of my CD drives. The green power light on the mobo still goes on. I plugged in my mouse, and the laser still lights up when I move it. The capacitors around the agp slot and the CPU all appear fine. The CPU is generating heat, which leads me to believe it is working properly. I guess that I have a bad AGP slot or just a bad mobo in general. I would need a new mobo in either case. Am I missing something? Any other possible solution here? Would running a video card with too small a power supply for too long ( a period of a few months, normal use) cause a mobo to die? Of course, the card was fried, but I need to know if i fried my Mobo too, or if it may even be the CPU. Thank you!

The PSU is probably dead now, it might be the only thing dead. (maybe your x1650 pro is still working). Replace it with a decent unit this time. If you plan to game, one the most important components is a good quality PSU.

The AGP slot could be damaged, try to borrow a PCI video card and find if the system works. don´t u have video on board? if yes try to boot with the onboard video activated to see what happen.

Try to changing the PSU if u don´t succeed, then the motherboard is damaged

I'm sorry, I should have elaborated further. The x1650 is definitely dead. With that card in, the PC will not even power on. The molex connector on the card also smells of smoke. The PSU is still working, as the PC will power on with either no card or a different video card installed. There is power going to the motherboard, the HDD, optical drives, etc. There is even power going to my backup video card (the fan spins). I also tried a backup PSU and I get the same results. Everything powers on, but no video signal, no post, no odd noises of any kind. There is power, the system just won't read anything or do anything.

The motherboard is dead. I had a similar problem with a motherboard that came DOA from newegg. The light would turn on, and the fans would start spinning, BUT! there would be no POST, or display on the screen. My motherboard had an LED Debug indicator that would leave two dashes, with no information. You can buy another motherboard for fairly cheap at newegg.

IF you havent done any overclocking with the motherboard, you can check if it's still covered under warranty, and send it back to the maker. Your video card.... I am not sure if it has burn marks

hi i had same problem but when i put a diffrent motherbored of mine in it was beeping like mad then i turned it off and check every think it was all in place. i turned it on again and it went on for about 0.5 secs then went off and would not got back in so i put my original motherbored back in, it works but not screen input. i have no onbored graphics and i use and agp graphics card i have a few so i am sure its the motherbored can you help?

okay, as far as I know the motherboard will beep which will tell you whats wrong. there is a beep code list in the hardware thread here. Match the beeps to the translation to find your problem. I still believe it's your motherboard frying or shorting out. if you are SURE the motherboard is not bad, but theres no video; try to attach another video card to see if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back