PC will not stay on at all, windows don't even finish booting up and PC shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brothers computer won't stay on at all. I'm a DSL troubleshoot Tech and I don't know what the deal is. Turn it on and while windows is trying to boot up, pc shut down again. Tried to reformat his OS (windows XP on an E-Machine), but with same results. Any ideas on what might be causing this?? Is there a virus out there that does this type of thing, and if so what can I do to fix it??? Thanks and Merry Christmas

How far does it get into the bootup process? Will it boot off a live linux cd like knoppix?

Is the processor fan spinning? Are all the connections (ram, cables, cards) properly seated?

You mentioned he tried reinstalling? Was it able to install at all? At what point did it fail?

Sounds to me like a hardware problem if you reinstalled and it's still doing it. I'd suggest doing a bare bones boot with cpu, vid card, 1 stick of RAM and 1 hdd. See what happens. If that works you can then add parts until it stops working. If that doesn't work, I'd think it's a problem with one of those 5 components (including mobo).

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Yes it will let me reformat OS, but when it tells me it is complete and to hit any key to continue, windows tries to start and the pc shuts down again. Everytime PC shuts off, it was at the windows XP screen while trying to upload. This is why I asked about virus. Thanks for any and all help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back