PC will not turn on when there is something plugged into a USB port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendo

My PC will not turn on when anything is plugged into a back USB port. I keep pressing the power switch, but nothing happens. As soon as I pull the USB cable out, the PC powers on, without me pressing anything. Does anyone have any idea about what is going on?

I have a gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard.

It's about a year old. It was fine, then I remember having to push the power switch multiple times before the PC powered on, now it does not turn on at all with something in a USB port

Umm well I never got round to re-wiring my front USB ports :blush: , so it is just the back USB ports.
(sorry for the late reply)

Device ?

Are you plugging in a usb device your installing ?
Heres how a Hotwire is done.
Install the software and drivers for it.Stay in Windows and then plug into
an active usb port.
Otherwise why are you doing this ? :confused:

Well the main things I have plugged in are my joystick and webcam, and I pre-installed software for both of those

Uhh Hiper HPU-3S350 350W. Incidentally I am having trouble with my PSU, I started a thread about it recently. Do you think I need a more powerful one?

Check your usb listing

They seem to be wired wrong.
Go to Hardware/Device Manager and see if usb is listed at the bottom.
You may need usb2 and it's not installed.It;s called enhanced usb.

Yeh my USB ports show up. It's the back ones I am having trouble with, not the front. Also I have 2 ubs2 on my PC, should I try using those?

Compare

Hendo said:
Yeh my USB ports show up. It's the back ones I am having trouble with, not the front. Also I have 2 ubs2 on my PC, should I try using those?
See my late attachment.If you have usb2 drivers then all will be usb2.
But all ports on a mbd aren't active,so why not just try another.?

My email reply

rik said:
I recon a new psu is definately in order then.

This isn't listed here.
Uhh Hiper HPU-3S350 350W. Incidentally I am having trouble with my PSU, I started a thread about it. Do you think I need a more powerful one?
==========
Yes for sure.It's one of the most overlooked devices.
Get at least 400 or see if you can find what your MBD recommends
as min and max.In your Manual.
Mine is 500 watt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back