I have a pc with following spec

msi 6320 motherboard
1gig amd athlon chip
8 gig hd
30 gig hd
liteon cdrw
mad dog 16x dvdrw
512 mb memory

i just recently put in the dvdrw but since then, whenever i start the pc sometimes no power goes to the mobo and devices as if there is somthing wrong with the power supply then when I check the power supplies to the devices and retry sometimes it will boot up fine. I dont thing the is anything wrong with the drives or memory cause on different occasions I have tried with them removed and the pc behaves the same inconsistent way. I think there might be a shorts in the power supply or motherboard. Does anyone have any advice or opinion on what the problem might be? Thanks

Hi kohaiice, I was wondering how big your power supply is? When you have the power issue, try this, unplug the power cord, from the back of your power supply, and leave it out for about a minute, then plug it back in, and restart your system. If your system boots up fine, this tells you that your power supply is weak, and/or going bad.

You have a lot of components, in your system, I am thinking your power supply may not be able to handle it all. Try disconnecting your DVD-rw, and the slave hard drive, keep turning your computer on and off, to test, but wait a few minutes in between each restart.

Thanks for the reply Just_a_nobody, its a 400W power supply, so I would except that it should be able to handle the load. I will do that power cord test and let you know the results. I have been doing a few of the other tests but haven't yet confirmed that it is the power supply. Will update you with any new discoveries

Some 400 watt power supplies just don't live up to their rating, which could be the case in your circumstances. Was this a case power supply, or did you buy it and install it? What is the brand name of your power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back