PC wont boot after downloading SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I've been having an array of issues with this pc. Replaced the CPU, mobo, and PSU (it's an eMachines so that should explain it all :dead: ) My problem is now...trying to upgrade to XP SP2. I went through the whole list of "what-to-dos" before downloading SP2 and then when I downloaded it, I thought everything was going good. That was...until it had to reboot to finish installing. It would go as far as blinking the Windows XP logo, but then would restart and go to the "start windows normally, last known good config, etc" screen. "Last known good config" wouldn't work, but I could get into Windows by going into Safe Mode. After trying a couple fixes suggested through the web, it got to the point that the Windows XP logo would come up, but then nothing but black screen. If I tried it in Safe Mode, it would run the list on the screen of what was loaded and then freeze. Since I couldn't do anything else, my only other option was to use the recovery CD and start from scratch again.
This is my system info:

Windows XP

AMD Sempron 64 2800+ Palermo 1.6GHz 256KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor
DFI K8M800-MLVF Socket 754 VIA K8M800 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix AwardTechnologies, LTD 6.00 PG 07/06/2005
40.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
35.45 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B [CD-ROM drive]
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD400EB-00CPF0 [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAAT9208440, rev 06.04G06, SMART Status: Healthy 320 Megabytes

Installed Memory
Slot 'A0' has 256 MB
Slot 'A1' has 512 MB

I updated the BIOS already after using the recovery CD and everything is ok, but I would still like to upgrade. I want to be able to upgrade to IE7, but I can't unless I have XP SP2. I'm afraid to try it again and have to go through it all over again.

Any help or suggestions on I might be missing would be appreciated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back