PC won't boot from CD or Floppy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

This is sort of a strange occurrence for me. Basically, I work at a metal recycling center, and today this ***** brought in a perfectly good amd desktop and sold it for .02 cents a lb. I immediately opened it to find all the internal components still there and in decent shape. Plugged it in, guess what it lights up and starts to boot.

Upon boot, it stops and says "Reboot and select proper Boot Device or insert boot media in selected boot device."

So I figure, all it needs is a clean wipe and fresh install of XP and we're good to go. I hit F1, go into the bios and change the boot order to Floppy->CD->HD.

I put in a XP x64 installation cd, it brings up the exact same error message. So, I think maybe it is just a bad cd drive? It spins it and everything, just no boot.

I try a floppy boot by using the windows "Create MS-DOS Boot Disk", method. It says that this disk isn't a system boot disk. Weird. I get boot files online, specifically DOS 5.0, and when I tried to make a boot disc my other computer keeps saying that it can't find the boot sector on the floppies, I try multiple ones I know work, nothing but the same write errors.

Now I have no clue what to do. I've reset my BIOS (took out the battery for a minute) and still nothing. Seems like such a waste to just throw it away.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Gateway
1ghz AMD Athlon 64

Make sure to check all connections to the MOBO and jumper settings. You might also want to try to install a different CDrom drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back