PC won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, so as the title says, I'm in pretty desperate need of help here.

So I started building a PC a few hours ago for my Dad who needs it, well, urgently. I said I'd have it ready by now but I've run into a problem. Basically the thing isn't turning on. I've checked everything and it seems to be fine, so I'm not ruling out the possibility of having burn it out at some point. But since I don't have much experience with building PCs, I'm guessing I may also have done something wrong.

I'm using an Asus P5K-VM motherboard. 450w power supply so that's not the issue. Everything looks like it's been connected properly. The ATX12V, EATX and EATX12V (4 pin) are all connected. Initially I had forgotten the 4 pin EATX12V so I had swapped the ATX12V with the EATX12V to see if that'd work. Would that have burned it out? Is there anything in general I could have done?

Whenever I connect the power to the PC, the green LED on the motherboard (which indicates power) turns on. But when I press the power button, nothing happens. I'm pretty sure the power switch is working too. I've connected in every way possible, and it still seems to be working.

Does anyone know what could've happened? Is there anything anyone can name? I might be able to spot the problem. I really, really need help if someone can get back to me. Thanks in advance for any help.

If you're positive you have it assembled properly, tear it back down to the PSU, CPU, a single RAM module and the motherboard. If you can't get a response after having removed the rest of the components, reseat the four mentioned components and try again.

If you *still* can't get a response, consider device failure. If you have more than one RAM module on hand - try another. No change? I would probably begin to suspect your PSU at this point as CPU's very rarely fail and desktop motherboards aren't particularly prone to failure compared to the rest of the system, however, if it's not your PSU odds are it's the motherboard.

You may, for the hell of it, want to assemble your system outside of it's case on a non-conductive surface. Perhaps something is grounding the motherboard, who knows.

Yeah, gave it a shot. Still nothing :(

I'm thinking I'll take it back to the people who sold me the parts and see if they can't do something about it. And by do something I mean get me a new one... It's a shame I can't get it running now though. Actually, there is one thing. Theres a small 4-pin connector coming from the PSU thats not connected to anything. The 4 pin are all in a row. They're very small pins as well. The kind you use to connect the CPU fan etc. to. Not sure where they go though (if they're meant to go anywhere). Is that wrong?

Take a look at this picture. If the connector you're talking about is the small one on the very bottom in the center, that is a 4-pin Berg connector used to power a floppy disk drive.

Yep... that's the one. Guess that's not the problem then... Dammit. Hopefully the guy I take it to tomorrow can shed some light on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back