PCI-E BSOD

D

Dalton

Ok, I am having an issue with being able to use PCI-E cards in one of my computers. I tried 2 so far and each time I try it will BSOD on me every time. It will get to the point where it says WIndows XP and starts loading then all of a sudden here comes the BSOD :confused: . I checked the bios and changed some settings for the PCI and internal graphics and nothing seems to help at all. Both cards seem to work ok in other computers so I am beyond confused. What do you guys think? Thanks!

I was using a 400W Sparkle PSU and the cards were a GeForce 7300LE and a GeForce 6600GT but last night I was using a 250W PSU but changed back to the 400W and it still caused a BSOD and for some reason the CPU was hitting 80c and not sure if that was caused from the BSOD or when it started doing that. I read somewhere that someone had this problem and was told to uninstall the onboard drivers but never had to do this before. Maybe in some cases you do?

80C is hot for a CPU, that could be one reason. 400W is not enough also for SLI. Plus you cannot SLI a 7300 and a 6600 together.

Oh, no I wasn't trying SLI just tried them separately but everything seems to be ok now. I uninstalled the onboard drivers and tried it and then all the cards started to work and I when I installed the drivers for the card in there now I thought of installing the onboard drivers to see what would happen and it did a BSOD so maybe it was conflicting with the onboard maybe? As for the CPU getting hot I put a different CPU in there and now monitoring the temps and all seems fine. Are CPU's really fussy sometimes when putting on paste, like does it have to be done just right? Not sure if that's what it was or maybe the video cards caused a misreading from the BSOD. Computer seemed to run ok so I have no idea what caused the CPU to do that.

Download nVidia drivers from here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us They could help fix your issue and/or optimize performance.
As for the CPU, the other CPU may have been OCed, that is why it was over heating. Tell me both CPUs you are using since you can buy a aftermarket cooler for them. The other CPU that was overheating could be more powerful. This is vital if you game.

Back