PCI Express 3.0 to go final in November

Emil

Staff

The PCI Special Interest Group (PCI SIG) says it expects to finalize the PCI Express (PCIe) 3.0 standard by November 2010. The 3.0 specification is due in the fourth quarter of 2010, but now we know it's slated for 60 days after the PCI SIG released version 0.9, which was posted in mid-August, according to EE Times. Furthermore, Intel is already gearing up to implement the new high-speed interconnection into its Sandy Bridge processors for servers.

PCIe 3.0 has numerous advantages over existing bus specifications: it will operate at an 8GT/s bit rate (effectively double PCIe 2.0's bandwidth), will have different electrical models, and will move to 128-bit and 130-bit encoding schemes (the 8-bit and 10-bit scheme is no longer required). Most importantly, it will be compatible with version 2.0.

We can expect that manufacturers of high-end hardware (including next-generation Ethernet switches, graphics cards, and solid-state drives) will be among the first to implement PCIe 3.0 into their chips. Prototypes featuring PCIe 3.0 interconnection will start undergoing testing in early 2011, but the PCI SIG will only release tools to validate designs and start interoperability workshops in mid-2011 and won't complete a specification for testing 3.0 products until 2012. Typically, products using a new version of PCIe are available about a year after the spec becomes final, though some companies might jump the gun to get the bandwidth gains as soon as possible; in other words, next year isn't out of the question.

Permalink to story.

Lurker101 said:
Until there's PCIe 3.0 hardware confirmed and ready for release, there's nothing to wait for.

PCIe 2.1 can use some of the stuff in PCIe 3.0
------------------------
PCI Express 2.1

PCI Express 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management, support, and troubleshooting systems planned to be fully implemented in PCI Express 3.0. However, the speed is the same as PCI Express 2.0. Most motherboards sold currently come with PCI Express 2.0 connectors.
-----------------------
So you miss out on the speed but you get certain stuff that will be better than PCIe 2.0

http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/pciexpress/base2/
Read there

-------------
Another dark secret will come out

SATA 3. USB 3. PCIe 3!!!!

OH GAWD!!!!

seronx said:
dividebyzero said:
Until there's PCIe 3.0 hardware confirmed and ready for release, there's nothing to wait for.

The first half of the equation should be the introduction of Intel's Patsburg LGA 2011 platform (Q2-Q3 2011). 40 lanes of PCIe 3.0....32 lanes (2x16 or 4x8) from the CPU ostensively (but obviously not limited) for graphics use and 8 lanes for I/O interconnects (SATA, USB etc.)

Doesn't the 890FX have 48 Lanes? (PCie 2.0) tho
The 890FX has 42 lanes

This is going to be great with my Radeon 7850. I will use it with my usb3 to do crazy stuft with my bluray recorder.

:S

This is going to be great with my Radeon 7850. I will use it with my usb3 to do crazy stuft with my bluray recorder.

not to mention what will run it with out 25nm processors =D

Still plenty of bandwidth on X16 2.0. Reducing the lanes to X8 shows very very little to absolutely no decrease in performance. Not much different in X4 either. Don't really need this for another 5 years at least. Good thing it's coming out much sooner than that.

Back