TechSpot

PCI Express 3.0 to go final in November

By Emil
Sep 17, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. The PCI Special Interest Group (PCI SIG) says it expects to finalize the PCI Express (PCIe) 3.0 standard by November 2010. The 3.0 specification is due in the fourth quarter of 2010, but now we know it's slated for 60 days after the PCI SIG released version 0.9, which was posted in mid-August, according to EE Times. Furthermore, Intel is already gearing up to implement the new high-speed interconnection into its

Read the whole story

2. seronx

seronx TS Rookie Posts: 26

Oh boy I can't wait ^.^

3. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 740   +249

Until there's PCIe 3.0 hardware confirmed and ready for release, there's nothing to wait for.

4. seronx

PCIe 2.1 can use some of the stuff in PCIe 3.0
    ------------------------
    PCI Express 2.1

PCI Express 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management, support, and troubleshooting systems planned to be fully implemented in PCI Express 3.0. However, the speed is the same as PCI Express 2.0. Most motherboards sold currently come with PCI Express 2.0 connectors.
    -----------------------
    So you miss out on the speed but you get certain stuff that will be better than PCIe 2.0

http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/pciexpress/base2/
    Read there

-------------
    Another dark secret will come out

SATA 3. USB 3. PCIe 3!!!!

OH GAWD!!!!

5. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

The first half of the equation should be the introduction of Intel's Patsburg LGA 2011 platform (Q2-Q3 2011). 40 lanes of PCIe 3.0....32 lanes (2x16 or 4x8) from the CPU ostensively (but obviously not limited) for graphics use and 8 lanes for I/O interconnects (SATA, USB etc.)

6. seronx

Doesn't the 890FX have 48 Lanes? (PCie 2.0) tho

7. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

The 890FX has 42 lanes

8. This is going to be great with my Radeon 7850. I will use it with my usb3 to do crazy stuft with my bluray recorder.

:S

9. This is going to be great with my Radeon 7850. I will use it with my usb3 to do crazy stuft with my bluray recorder.

not to mention what will run it with out 25nm processors =D

10. teklord

teklord TS Guru Posts: 481

Still plenty of bandwidth on X16 2.0. Reducing the lanes to X8 shows very very little to absolutely no decrease in performance. Not much different in X4 either. Don't really need this for another 5 years at least. Good thing it's coming out much sooner than that.

11. :( :( damn!!! I feel my gtx 260 is already outdated!!!!!!!

12. fullmetalvegan

fullmetalvegan TS Enthusiast Posts: 123

Hmm... unsure whether to upgrade PC now or wait to see when PCI 3.0 might come out.