PCI-Express in AGP8

Status
Not open for further replies.
you cannot do that!!!heck drop the pci express and take a deep breath! AGP 8X and pci-e are different. MOst new mobo use pci-e because its twice as fast :)

Please dont try to run a PCI-E card in an AGP slot.
The only thing that can come out of that is burning your card and MoBo...

If you have an AGP slot buy an AGP card, simple as that, you cannot mix different type of cards and slots, they were made that way for a reason.

About the PCI-E outperforming AGP - thats nonsense for now and absolutely not true! No game or card takes advantage that PCI-E offers, at least for now, AGP at 8x shouldnt be any slower than PCI-E 16x in todays games, the bandwidth of AGP 8x hasnt still been used up, so dont worry about missing some performance - there is no loss. In theory PCI-E should be a lot faster, but that doesnt mean squat if you cant even fill the AGP 8x bandwidth with todays games, perhaps in 2-3 years PCI-E will start to show an advantage, but currently, dont worry and get an AGP card if you have an AGP slot.

Between 9800XT and 5950...
I would choose 9800XT over 5950 anytime.

But even 9800XT is old, just say how much money are you willing to
spend and I'll try to recommend something.

BTW: You triple posted in just a couple of minutes - please use the edit button!

I dont care about money, i just wanna know the BEST card, in value and in quality.
And I've heard good things about Albatron?

I would recommend you get 6800GT 256MB, the AGP version.

They are about 270$ at newegg.
XFX, eVGA, BFG are good brands, just choose the brand with highest stock clocks (if they differ that is)!

It's hard to find a good AGP card nowadays, with the switch to PCI-E becoming more and more apparent AGP cards are becoming rarer and costlier because of being produced in lower numbers.

The X800XL would be a better bet for u, coz it has pure power and because u have no budget limitations, this card is the one for u. It still gets decent frame rates even in the most taxing of games, and its still available in AGP form. Oh yeah, and it screws the hell out of the 5950 ;)

What about 'REFURBISHED: ATI ALL-IN-WONDER X800XL 100-714500 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - OEM' , $229 at newegg? I would most likely trade in for that if i won the GeForce7800 comp...

Good luck to you for the giveaway mate. But seriously speaking, its a good bargain and the X800XL won't disappoint you, trust me on that one.

Well the x850XT PE is going for around 315$ on new egg.

It's a 45$ difference in price, and the performance gain aint that great compared how much more you pay.
Second, it's much more harder to find a x850XT PE at your local shop, than a 6800GT.
6800 series is pixel shader 3.0 compatible, making it more future proof, while x850XT doesnt (I dont want to get into debates whether 3.0 has any real advantage over 2.0b, but more and more develepers are using 3.0)
x850XT PE WILL be faster than a 6800GT...

So, it depends how much do you want to spend, and how long will the card be used...

Edit - if you can get the X800XL at that price, go for it! It's on par with 6800GT, in some games they are tied, in some it's somewhat slower, somewhere it's somewhat faster...
So if you can get it at that price, buy it!

I'd prefer an X800XL. But its upto u. If u're into NVIDIA, get the 6800 GT. But if u're into ATI, get the X800XL. Simple as that.

Cool, Im gunna wait till after the comp to eiher get it free (fingers crossed), or I'll have to wait for my following birthday Dec1, then theres the 3rd option of going to work... Does anyone know the $AU price of a well-branded X800XL?
And does anyone know some crappy work that would pay for a new card, then i can quit? (unless i enjoy the work, of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back