PCI Express: Interconnect of the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

Excerpt taken from http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.html?i=1830

There are many recent technologies that have signalled a shift in the way data is sent within a desktop computer in order to increase speed and efficiency. Universal Serial Bus (USB), Serial ATA, and RDRAM, are all examples of moving away from a parallel architecture to a high-speed serial format, designed to ensure maximum bandwidth and provide future scalability.

The PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) Bus has been widely used as a general purpose I/O interconnect standard over the last ten years, but is really beginning to hit the limits of its capabilities. Extensions to the PCI standards, such as 64-bit slots and clock speeds of 66MHz or 100MHz, are too costly, and just cannot meet the rapidly increasing bandwidth demands in PCs over the next few years.

3rd Generation IO, or 3GIO, has been recently renamed PCI Express, and looks to be the replacement for the ubiquitous PCI bus, the most successful peripheral interconnect bus used in PCs. With support coming in the Intel Grantsdale chipset, along with Microsoft's next version of Windows, codenamed Longhorn, let's take a look at the technology that is designed to last the computer industry for the next ten years...

continued at http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.html?i=1830

I think a new PCI standard would be helpful especially in high end graphics cards such as the new ATI and Nvidia cards.
This article has a lot of interesting information.

Hehe, I didnt know about that. Waiiittt, your saying don't feel like a TOO much of a ****, so in other words I am still PARTIALLY a ****. That what your tryin' to say? Eh!? LoL. Just kidding Phant.

Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone mind merging this thread with Phant's second link?

That links has some good information, most of which was way beyong my comprehension but I still read it anyway. If anything it gave me a little bit better understanding of PCI architecture. Kind of confusing when your not an electrician or engineer or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back