PCI Express interfaces for new graphic cards

By kiwiboy
Jun 25, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, I have a 3400+ AMD Athlon 64 Processor with a ATI Radeon 9800 se PRO graphics card.
    I am looking at the latest graphics card by NVIDIA - the GE XFX 7800 series which can only be connected to a PCI Express slot.

How do I find out if I have a PCI Express slot onboard my PC without opening it up physically?

If I do have to open it up-what does the new PCI Express slot look like?
  2. IronDuke

IronDuke Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,267

Download Everest Home from here.
    That will give you a lot of info on what's inside your box.

Welcome Kiwiboy
  3. momalyd

momalyd Newcomer, in training Posts: 26

i might be wrong but the board for a 64-bit processer sould have pci express as standerd because its a 64bit version of pci ----- no doubt someone will prove me wrong, and yes i know its a 32bit chip with a 64bit whistle (i have been won over and am getting one next week) and i also know you can get pci express for a 32bit system i think that should cover it all)
  4. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

Well, basically you don't have pci-e, if you have a 9800pro, 9800pros were never made in pci-e, and almost all motherboards have either agp or pci-e. You most likely have agp. Pci-e slots are longer than agp(or pci) from looking at them.

I'm not sure, but I don't think pci-e is a 64bit pci slot, I think that's pci-X, which is for servers, but I may be wrong.

Also there are amd 939 socket boards with agp, and ones with pci-e, just because it's 939 doesn't mean it's pci-e. For example, the abit av8 is agp and 939, IIRC.
  5. momalyd

yea pci-x and pci express are the same, good old americans naming things again.it was introduced in servers long before pc's
  6. nein

nein Banned Posts: 226

No, (pci express) PCIe and PCI-X are not the same, to use PCI-X with PCIe you needed a bridge just as you would need one for AGP or the older PCI.
  7. momalyd

oh yea pci-x is the size of pci and pcie is realy short. my mistake
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.