TechSpot

PCI-Express

By Braunestar
Sep 13, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have recently purchased a 'XFX GeForce 6800 Xtreme PCI-E 512MB DDR3' and only just read that a PCI-E slot is needed..well i have no idea if my motherboard supports this or not.

I know my motherboard support both PCI and AGPX8 based cards..but is PCI-Express a different slot alltogether?

here is a pic of my motherboard.. maybe this pic will help
    http://www.albatron.com.tw/images/product/it/mb/picture/big/KM400A_pro.jpg
  2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

3. Braunestar

Braunestar TS Rookie Topic Starter

AwWw

Are you serious?

are you for certain man? because i heard that nvidia made it possible to bridge a PCI-E card to an AGP slot..but if its not possible..its not

Cheers for help man
  4. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

You either need a new motherboard or an AGP video card.

That means that they took a PCI-e card and manufactured it for AGP, not that the end user can take a PCI-e and slap it into an AGP slot.
  5. Braunestar

Braunestar TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ah well..i will exchange it while i can to an AGP based card..cheers for the feedback man :p

not alot of helpful people out there usually
  6. Shoupie080

Shoupie080 TS Rookie Posts: 76

Hey man I would keep the card and buy a new motherboard....You can get a decent asus board for around 200 bucks. AGP is becomming obsolete in the gaming world so I would keep your pci-e card since its the future

good luck
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.