Pci Geforce 6200 128mb/ Psu!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCastle

Greets guys n gals, not much of a forum person myself so please be kind to me. thanks.

question i have is concerning my pci geforce 6200 128 ddr, what psu is preferable for this card and my machine?

CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 515
(2.93GHz, , )
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Memory: 512MB DDR
Hard Drive: 250GB HDD1
Optical Drive: DL 16x DVD±RW
Media Reader: 8-in-1 (USB 2.0, Secure Digital™ (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card™)
Video: Intel® 915G Graphics Media Accelarator 9001
Sound: AC' 97 Codec 6-channel Audio
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K V.92 SmartLink SL1900
Peripherals: 105+18+key+ PS/2, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other: 7 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front, 4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

thanks for your kindness.. catch you soon.. p.s. let me know if you need any specific details..

Hello and Welcome to Techspot! :)

If in the near future, you want to upgrade your machine, THIS PSU will handle anything you throw at it.

If it's a little pricey to you, then THIS one is an excellent choice.

Regards :)

regards pci graphics card n PSU.. to Wolfman

hey there, thanks for such a quick responce to which in my previouse fourum experiances where lack of or none comeing..

hey i guess i just been visiting the wronge places hehe.. thanks again dude..

the reason i asked regards my GC n PSU.. was down to the fact that since i pluged it in, ive been unable to play 'Max Payne', 'Project IGI 1 n 2' decently.. let alone that 'Splinter Cell' to which i been looking foward to playing decently, i get tearing graphics and the ability to see through walls that tend to ask like one minuet there, next there not and the next there back... HL2 .. bless it.. goes so far then crashes out, having gone blocky n turned neon green, yellow, blue.. etc etc.. rather pretty actualy but hey..

i this a price to pay for finding my machine, a upgrade may i add to a 1.9ghz pc.. at £200 pounds, harddrive, flat screen monitor and net ready.. early christmass pressy as i dont get much cash.. anyuways.. pleased to meet you

nice to meet you and i hope to meet more here soon..

im James from england Uk.. CATCH yah laters.. night
J.

Does your system have an agp slot? If so, and if you can find out the speed of it, an agp card will be quicker than a pci one.

AGP verse PCI

Hey Rik

you know, lifes weird aint it? well hey I think so, its what makes it interesting! you know what else turned out interesting? me purchaseing a pentium 4 2.93 ghz pc, with a decent HD n flat screen etc etc as previously mentioned but with no means of a modern graphics card. haveing had it checked several times by a friend of mine, and having looked at photo's etc to check it myself, ive only 2 pci slots available to me. I think its down to the fact that its I think what you would call a OEM machine, I think its co's its got its own on board graphics chip set, intell 915g..

other than that ive 4 ddr ram slots.. so I spose thats allright there..

so, no agp or pci e or otherwise, as these slots are too close to the back of the case, and they definatly look like pci. id take a pic an post it if only I had got that blue tooth dongle I was thinking about recently... hehe

definatly PCI Rik, thanks for the sentiment but this is all I have to work with unfotunatly. nothing a decent PSU and some balanced out DDR RAM.. and possibly, as a last resort, fidling with my bios latency settings in the vid peripherals settings.. place whatever its called again..

now theres a question, what is video latency? 32, 36, 64, 128 etc etc or whatever the settings are again.. whats that do for the card too?..

if you've played wow, then on the spirit healer im getting those weird virticle lines.. actualy see it better on back of my druids head.. I hope ive attached pic correctly.. :)

Attachments

• WoWScrnShot_0.JPG
    WoWScrnShot_0.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 7
JCastle said:
now theres a question, what is video latency? 32, 36, 64, 128 etc etc or whatever the settings are again.. whats that do for the card too?..

The numbers probably refer to shared ram. Meaning that your onboard graphics card uses some of the ram installed in your mobo (motherboard). Setting that to 128 should help. I'm not sure about any of the other settings for onboard graphics as i have never had the misfortune to own a mobo with onboard graphics.

Making sure that you have the lates drivers for your mobo could possibly help too, and of course for your onboard graphics too.

I do believe that the onboard graphics will be better than a pci graphics card.

Onboard vs Graphics Card

Video: Intel® 915G Graphics Media Accelarator 9001

I believe is what my first post said about my onboard, to which i have replaced with a PCI GeForce 6200 128 ddr Graphics Card, and to be honest with you the difference tween playing WOW etc, from the onboard to the now in use 6200 feels alot better and improved considering. and just to say, i am currently useing only 300w PSU to which i should be upgradeing to 400w on wednesday, which im told should provide a little more power to the GC and the computer in general hopefully improveing game perfermance, and possibly alowing the GC to then rendure the graphics on these other games that dont seem to like to work currently.

I'll be kind and let you check the difference tween my stated onboard graphics chip set mentioned above to my 6200, heres what ive found upon googleing,

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chipsets/display/i915g.html

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma900/index.htm

http://www.intel.com/design/mobile/gma900.htm
--------------------------------

GeForce 6200 128 ddr;

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/geforce-6200/index.x?pg=1

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce6200_agp

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce6200_agp

Well there you go, i could provide a few more sits regarding reviews or specs of the on board and the 6200 GCard, but then that'd probably put google out of business. i very much appreciate your sentimate, but as i've previousely said, i am useing my PCI Nvidea GeForce 6200 128 instead of my on board Graphics chip set and for the moment, it feels much better during game play of wow than it did before.. my FPS are somewhat more stable and although drop in built up forests.. its generaly decent and feels better to play tho useing 300w..

Now im not a tech head, so i know nothing regards the kind of talk etc they say on these reviews and all that, i havent the fogiest what a pipeline is let alone a bandwidth is etc etc but if you want to check out the spec's for both onboard and graphics card, and come back to me with your report on the difference's then that would be appreciated. id very much like to know what you think on which ones better etc etc. all i know is that the graphics card has a seperate cpu or gpu whatever its called and so therefore uses seperate from the pc, and provides a little more ease to my pc when it works.. it does its job to a degree and then what it cant do the pc takes over with virtual memory and ddr ram etc etc.. thats about all i know..

please, if you wish to find out the differences.. in the mean time i'll be gettings a better power supply unit for my pc to provide my card with more power.. freeing up power for other hardware too

thanks again dude..

James.

P.S. I Can not by no means play DOOM3 what so ever with my onboard Graphics Chip Set.. i'll just go install D3 again and test it with my 6200 GC and let you know the difference there. that'd tell me simply, as i aint a tech, wither the on board is better or worse than the GC. :) catch you soon
J.

Google and download aquamark3d, its free and it will give you a score for both onboard and pci if you try it out on both. Whichever gives you the best score will be the better card.

If you want to try it, make sure the shared memory is set to 128 with the built in card and 32 with the pci, it will give you the fairest comparison.

Thinking about it, you should be able to clock the pci easily if you want where as its almost impossible with the built in one.

If you should decide to test them both out with aquamark3d, I'd love to know the results. Its been many many years since i last used a pci graphics card and would love to know if its worth recommending them to people like yourself that have no agp slot.

Err Blue scree, re install, drivers re install. a-o.k, psu installed, cant access?

hey there, yeah its me trouble again. hehe how yall doing? anyways, down to business as they say.

right, yestaday after playing Project IGI for about 2 hours it closed my pc down upon closeing the game. then for some strange reason, i was unable to reboot pc as it kept popping up the blue screen of death on me. so i descided to re install win xp on the c:. drive partition n it all worked. thing is, since i re installed graphics drivers downloaded from nvidia website, i then had more stable fps from wow, and a lot more access to features in my graphics controll settings.. so all good there, anyways, ive installed my 400w psu as apposed to the 300w i took out. all working n all booted up o.k as you can see, im here.. yay and all that kinda thing.

hmmm well heres the thing, ive got a games partion on my 250 gb sata hard drive, to which upon booting and displaying desktop, i first noticed the icons for wow and Splinter Cell where inncorect so i went to change them back, and of course trying to find the games folder etc, it wont let me access the folders on that drive..???? says access restricted..

anyone any idea whats happened?.. i can access the other partions, but the computer wont let me access the folders on them.. the properties tells me there is data there to access.. but it jus aint letting me get on..

would appreciate to be able to use your brains for this.. thanks guys..

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back