PCI IDE card doesn't see DVD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, first post here so hoping somebody can help...
I've added this card - (digitalpromo.co.uk/newlink-port-ata133-raidide-controller-pci-card-retail-p-2634.html) to a new PC (Vista Premium) because its mobo has no IDE ports and I have a couple of devices I wanted to use...
I've added a HDD to one channel and a DVD drive to the other.. The HDD is seen fine in Windows and also on the boot up where it shows the device connected to the card. But it doesn't see the DVD. I changed the cables and it then sees the HDD on the other channel so I don't think the card is faulty.. On the DVD I have the jumper set to master.
I've tried entering the card config screen (ctrl-E) and that only shows the HDD too. It has options for RAID etc but because there's only one HDD it (correctly) doesn't allow me to set RAID/stripind etc. I can select IDE though and it accepts it but still it's not seen after a reboot.. :-(
Any ideas guys?

Vista is picky about add-on cards. The IDE controller might not be fully compatible with Vista

The specs of this card say nothing about ATAPI support, so there's a good chance that this thing does not work with any optical drives at all..

Thanks for the replies guys.
The info does say "These cards are also ideal for adding more IDE type devices such as DVD writers if your motherboards IDE ports are all used." though and it does support PI0-4. It's actually my parents PC so I won't be able to try things out until the weekend but I was thinking today (although I'm not sure why it would make a difference..) that I've connected it with a decent 80strand IDE cable instead of the 'normal' 40 one. Would/could that make a difference?
Ref the 'Vista' thing, I don't THINK the OS is relevant as at the point after the BIOS - before Windows - it doesn't see the drive..:confused:
Cheers all.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back