TechSpot

PCI or AGP - not sure which one will work

By samaglasgow
Jun 19, 2009
  1. Hi, will start off by apologising for having so little knowledge in this area but i know nothing of what I am doing! Im wanting to start playing some games but need to upgrade my graphics card and apparently i need to make sure that it is compatible with my motherboard so I downloaded AIDA32 but still have no idea what i am looking for.

The graphics cards seem to be split into sections PCI, PNY or AGP but do not know which type I am meant to get. Any help would be much sort after!

Current details:

Graphics Card: SyncMaster 933HD on NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X

Motherboard details from ADIA32:

Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID 63-190-0000010-00101111-110205-VIA$K8UVM000
    Motherboard Name Unknown

Front Side Bus Properties
    Bus Type AMD Hammer
    Real Clock 200 MHz
    Effective Clock 200 MHz

Memory Bus Properties
    Bus Type DDR SDRAM
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 167 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 333 MHz
    Bandwidth 2667 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
    Bus Type VIA V-Link
    Bus Width 0-bit
    Real Clock 67 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 133 MHz
    Bandwidth 0 MB/s

Have no Idea if any of that helps!

Sam :)

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

A good/better AGP up to 8X card will work for you

3. samaglasgow

samaglasgow TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply, ive just had a look on the web the onces that are AGP8X
    are also PNY also, would that still work?

4. Tmagic650

Yes it will work fine

5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

PCI graphics cards are EXTREMELY outdated, and AGP is just about out for the most part. PCI Express has been out for several years now and is mainstream. I would not even bother investing $ in a computer that uses either of the old technologies. For $1000 you can make or even better - build a very decent gaming machine.

6. teklord

teklord TS Guru Posts: 481

For a $1000 dollars you can build a bleeding edge core i7, I would estimate. If you want to spend $100 dollars or so then get the HD 3850 AGP like I did. You will be impressed with what it can do.

7. Tmagic650

PCI graphics are great for those old AGP systems. They work as well or better than the original AGP cards. I can build a killer gaming system for under $600

8. teklord

No PCI card outperforms my HD 3850 AGP, that's why I mobo swapped to get it because my only other option was to stick a 9500GT PCI in my OEM PC. The HD 3850 AGP is at least twice as powerful as the 9500GT 1GB PCI, although my CPU is bottlenecking it.

9. Tmagic650

The HD 3850 AGP card would be worth more than most of the older systems I see. I'm just saying that the better PCI video cards can perform better than the on-board graphics in most cases

10. teklord

PCI is way way better than onboard, I can personally testify to that. You said "PCI graphics are great for those old AGP systems. They work as well or better than the original AGP cards." The GPU hierarchy is PCI-e>AGP>PCI>onboard.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.