PCI vs PCI Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobdeep11

How will I be able to distinguish wether or not my computer has PCI or PCI Express slots?

Once I have determined this, I would like to know what a good/quality/reasonably priced video card would be for the particular slot that I have.

I'm looking for a name and a link to the video card that is recommended. (Specifically one that will fit my computer and run Microsoft Flight Simulator X smoothly with good graphics).

Here are my computer specs.

Dell Dimension 1100 Series, Intel Celeron D Processor 325 (2.53GHz) and 256K cache

512MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz

160GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200RPM)

That system only has PCI slots, but even if it did have AGP or PCI-Express capabilities, you're going to need a LOT more than just a videocard if you want to play Flight Simulator-X. A 512mb ddr/celeron is really going to be pushing it as it'll be maybe 1 frame every couple seconds lol.

I'd strongly urge you to consider a total system upgrade if you're specifically trying to get FS-X to work even semi-reliably. It stresses cpu/memory performance to the hilt as well as graphics. You can likely assemble your own PC that will be 7-9x better for FS-X for under $600, maybe less if you can re-use some of your existing parts.

Look in your computer manufacturers website for product details. Put in your model number and they should provide you with all the required specifications about your motherboard and whether or not you have PCI/AGP/PCIE slots.

This is funny,,,,,, PCI is old tech,, came

PCI then AGP 1.0 then 2.0 and so on 4.0 then 8.0 ,, then came PCIe 16x ,,

I dont know what you trying to accomplish here ,

Umm, tweakboy, it went: ISA, PCI, AGP 1.0, AGP 2.0, AGP 3.0, PCI-E X16.

But getting to the point... to play FSX you will most likely need a whole new system as your RAM, processor, and motherboard are just not good enough for FSX.

Even a good, mid-range PC will have a hard time with FSX. It appears to be optimized for Windows Vista....

Get Flight Sim 2004, that game has weak system requirements and you'd likely be able to play it with what you have now at full everything.

Would I need a new graphics card for FS2004? I will probably go that route. I'm not going to buy a new computer just to play FSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back