PCs sees flash dirve differently now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyT

I have been using a "Lexar JD Firefly" 4 gig flash drive for some time now....

I generally use it on my Dell desktop and Dell laptop, but have used it many numerous times on other different brand PCs..both desktop and laptop....

All PCs were running XP or Vista and the drive has never failed......

Last night, while at a friend's house....I was going to show him some pics on the flash drive....using his PC which has XP...

He plugged it into his 4 port USB adapter and I noticed it did not run the auto play feature which it has always done before....

I always select "Open folder to view files".....

But this time did not have that option....

I told him to open "My Computer".....

I did not see "Lexar Removeable Disk (G)"....or whatever it drive it would have been..

I then told him to single click...which I always do... the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray...

He double clicked it which...was OK too....it just now it displays in another window....

We only had the option of "Generic USB drive"...or "Memory Bar"...

While I was thinking that I did not the the correct device....

He clicked "Stop"....

I assumed he would click "Generic USB drive"......but...

He clicked "Memory Bar" and pulled out the Lexar flash drive before I could say wait...

Well now...any PC I plug the Lexar flash drive into sees it only as a "Memory Bar"...and wants to format it....I tell it no....

Nothing is on there I can't do without...I just can't remember what all was on there...

I have everything on my PCs...but would like to access the drive's files before I do anything like formatting it....

Also....the drive was a little pricey....$69.00 on sale...a while back...

Lexar's websaite only tells me that XP does not need need drivers for it...

And I don't know anyone running Windows '98...

Do you guys think I am out of luck.....or have any options....????

Thanks in advance...

Tony

Thanks Daveskater.....

But I checked that before I posted.....(I don't know anyone running Windows '98)

Will give it a good looking over again.....

Ok, well normally in cases like this with flash drives, the only option is to format them. However, try putting it in your friend's PC first and see if it will recognize it. You may be able to get something out of it if it recognized it before.

I feel like I have lost this round....

I did that yesterday....

Still wants to format...

Thanks again....

you could try to boot one of your computer with a different system, like 'bartpe' or 'ultimate boot cd', and the flash drive attached. maybe you can access it in another environment and at least get your data backed up...!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back