TechSpot

Pebble has sold over 1 million smart watches, teases completely new platform and products for 2015

By Jos
Feb 2, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Competition is about to get a lot fiercer in the smart watch market with Apple's long awaited entrance in April, but in the meantime Pebble has been doing just fine against its Android Wear counterparts. According to CEO Eric Migicovsky,...

Read more

2. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106   +97

I love the pebble steel's look, and nearly bought it around Christmas, but I had a feeling that they would be coming out with something new soon. I'm glad to see that I was right. I hope whatever they come up with is as attractive.

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

Yeah, the smartwear fad, that's all it is, a needless, overhyped and overpriced fad. I'm quite happy to "watch" others throw their money at it, I'd rather keep mine or spend it on something worthwhile.

4. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106   +97

Everyone has their own idea as to what is worthwhile, and what would make their lives easier. Sure, people buy some extravagant items that are relatively useless, but "smartwear" can be very useful to many people. I'd much rather spend a couple hundred dollars on a smartwatch that has a lot of features I can utilize, than $10,000+ on a Rolex that's only purpose other than to tell time is to be seen as a status symbol.

I still don't see why people say ~$200 is "overpriced" for a nice looking watch, but perhaps that's just me.

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

It's the general consensus that $200+ is too much for what they offer and I agree. In it's defense smartwear is still a new technology, if it takes off it'll mature, prices will drop and it'll offer far more functionality than now, making more sense investing in.
    I couldn't agree more that spending $10 000+ on a Rolex that only tells you the time is galling and nothing more than facetious bragging & flashing but we only see it that way because most of us can't afford luxuries like that, that watch will keep it's value for years to come and even appreciate in value, how much do you think you can resell your $300 smartwatch for in a years time when it's considered obsolete and you're busy drooling all over the latest releases? Peanuts! Buying into tech is a mugs game for the consumer, you can never come out on top and you're not supposed to because that will put the big tech companies out of business.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015