TechSpot

Pebble returns to Kickstarter to launch third generation Pebble Time smartwatch

By Shawn Knight
Feb 24, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Pebble on Tuesday announced its third generation smartwatch, the Pebble Time, bringing a satisfactory end to a countdown that had been running on the company's website for days.

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,561   +862

"one has to wonder how it’ll hold up against the full-color devices currently on the market and coming soon."

About 6 days longer, why? ;)

m4a4 likes this.
  3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I was really hoping to get a next gen Pebble (held off on one a few months back) but dang, I am disappointed... it looks like a toy not a watch IMO... it doesn't seem to me like it is worth $200...

At least make the bezels smaller and the screen bigger... sigh I guess I will wait a few more years for the market to mature even more (I was hoping Pebble would get it right v. 2)...

Acespaces likes this.
  4. Acespaces

Acespaces TS Member Posts: 85   +12

Totally agree with you JC, I was hoping they'd produce a matured watch with a premium material or metal around it but this almost likes a kids meal watch from the video. Oh well they do have a very unique UI for a smartwatch though.

Jad Chaar likes this.
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,706   +1,887

Oh, I don't know, isn't "Pebble", too uncomfortably close to, "Pebbles", the "Flintstone's'" daughter, to be taken seriously.

And giving them money so they can rip me off for a watch sometime in the future, is really out of the question.

6. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 513   +46

Is this is the way forward now, companies don't release new products they just do it all through kickstarter. Pebble already made their mark they shouldn't be on kick starter now, it is almost as if they have no faith in their own products and will only make something if there is interest.

7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah no doubt about it. I like how they built the OS around the limitations of the epaper display (morphing of animations and such). That is truly innovative.