Pebble smartwatch landing at Best Buy this weekend for $150

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The smartwatch that arguably jumpstarted the wearable technology trend will soon be available for purchase at Best Buy. The Kickstarter sensation known as Pebble has landed on Best Buy’s website with a “coming soon” tag and if leaked inventory photos prove to be true, the wristwatch should be in stock on July 7.

Two Best Buy employees claim they were recently briefed by management that their retail stores would soon be carrying the smartwatch while one of the employees was able to snap a purported photo of the watch in inventory. It’s classified as a digital communication appcessory (no, that isn’t a grammar error) which seems to be a rather fitting description.

buy sell pebble smartwatch starting best buy pebble smartwatch

It’s unclear, however, whether or not the device will be sold on Best Buy’s website. The inventory system shows a status of “NO” to home delivery despite the fact it’s already listed on the company’s website with a “free shipping” tag. Perhaps then the website listing is simply a placeholder and it’ll direct users to pick up the watch in stores or maybe the inventory listing is simply incorrect.

Either way, the Pebble is priced at $149.99 on Best Buy’s website.

It is good news for the smartwatch creator after the product raised more than $10 million on Kickstarter last year. Having your product in a brick and mortar retailer will no doubt increase exposure at a time when the idea of wearable technology is just starting to take root.

Permalink to story.

At such price point the creator will have to push at least 100,000 units to just get the money back to his supporters. Or, he can just say screw you, after all, he's already 10 mill richer, so why extra sweat...

I know that if I were paid $150 and given these for free, I would still be very upset having to wear them. The major factor I see in my watch is its absolute autonomy in telling me the exact time, and never arsing me about battery or whatever else.

So the "geek watch" is back.
This will sell about the same as the old Casio watch with the built-in calculator, and do less of any real value.

VitalyT - Maybe you're not clear in your writing, or maybe you don't understand how Kickstarter works; no matter the answer you should probably meet either of those criterion before deciding to post your opinion. Supporters don't get their money back, they get the product. Most supporters already have the product, I've had mine for about 5 months now.

billthegrunt - I invite you to take heed of your words, and in, say, 3 years reevaluate them based on how successful these watches may (or may not) become.

These things didn't come out without a hitch or problems, but the Pebble team truly work hard at solving everything and keeping in touch with the supporters. The biggest thing holding it back now is the app development tools (PebbleKit), which is slowly rolling out in pieces. Once these tools are finalized, the watch will be ready to fully reach its potential.

Supporters don't get their money back, they get the product. Most supporters already have the product

I probably should have said - to get back their money's worth. Other than that, I have an understanding about how Kickstarter works - it is a legalized ponzi scheme for convincing the public you have a great product in the making, so the money start rolling in, and then you appropriate money as you see fit and tell the backers - ops, sorry, didn't work! That's for most of the projects on kickstarter, though there are a few exceptions, when a good product actually makes it all the way through to wide manufacturing.

$150 is a bit too steep for a non-color smartwatch.
But it can have the screen on 24/7 for 5-7 days between recharges. Other smartwatches coming out are <5 days battery life, with <10% screen-on-time.

Pebble = viable

So the "geek watch" is back.
This will sell about the same as the old Casio watch with the built-in calculator, and do less of any real value.

I actually had one when I was a kid... that and a Yak Bak Watch.... Slooooowwwww annnnndddd Loooowwwww... or Fast and high pitched...

Yeah, I dont know how to make that last part look like its spoken that way... oh wells...

I just changed the battery in my old Casio. It's good to go for at least another four years, before I have to do it again. Ole faithful may not be a smart watch, but it's smart enough to keep time and thats all I care about.

I'm not like some people that keep a cell phone in hand 24/7. If I kept a cell phone in hand 24/7, I would definitely understand not wanting a wrist watch.

I just changed the battery in my old Casio. It's good to go for at least another four years, before I have to do it again. Ole faithful may not be a smart watch, but it's smart enough to keep time and thats all I care about.

I'm not like some people that keep a cell phone in hand 24/7. If I kept a cell phone in hand 24/7, I would definitely understand not wanting a wrist watch.
All people like gimmicks and are willing to pay good money for some some of them whether they need them or not. You can't tell me you've never bought anything gimmicky in your life but I have to agree with your post. The smartwatch will undoubtedly sell in droves but for me personally, I couldn't care less, much in the same way I couldn't care less about Google Glass. Maybe these smartwatches will amount to something in the future but for now I see them as a ridiculous waste of money.

Back