TechSpot

Pentium u5600 @ 1.33ghz 2Gb ddr3 - Upgrade

By Alpha Gamer
May 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A friend complained that her pentium u5600 @ 1.33ghz 2Gb ddr3 is very sluggish. I suggested upgrading to 8Gb ddr3 ram. But after that, I found out that this particular cpu is rather slow for nowadays and I have my doubts that even with such upgrade it would get much better.

What you think?

2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,269   +542

Slow for what purpose? Basic computing or are we talking about something more?

My suggestion would be upgrade to just 4gb of ram and then go from there if the needs are just basic. You could also grab an inexpensive SSD and upgrade it with a fresh install to add some better load times.

Beyond that it would just come down to what the machine is used for.

3. Alpha Gamer

Alpha Gamer TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 254   +46

it is basic computing, I hadn't thought of the ssd. But it's a laptop, don't think she'll have the space.

4. GhostRyder

Well even so an ssd is only a 2.5 inch drive so you could replace the current drive with it. Since it's just the basics, grab like a crucial 240gb drive for 120 and put a fresh install on it. Should give a nice boost.

5. Alpha Gamer

Alpha Gamer TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 254   +46

I'll suggest that to her, thanks

6. GhostRyder

No prob, also 4gb of ram would help with a 64bit installation of an OS.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.