TechSpot

Pentium upgrade question

By razorsmom
May 20, 2004
  1. I need to know how to determine if I can replace a Pentium II with a Pentium III. I have a computer with the II currently in it and have a III left over from another computer and I'd like to upgrade it. Can someone help me figure out how to determine this? thanks in advance.

razorsmom:confused:

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Read the motherboard manual.

3. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

If you can't find your manual, go to the manufacturer's website for details.

4. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,550   +231

I don't think that a Pentium II motherboard will support a Pentium III. From what I can remember Pentium II used socket 7 and Pentium III used socket 370. I might be wrong as I haven't verified this. But if you check the web for information on your motherboard is will surely include information stipulating which processors it supports..

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

There are some very freaky mobos that support both PII and PIII in slot and socket configuration.

6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,197   +420

Yes - in fact, many of the A-Bit boards were capable of this - including the A-Bit BH6 (which I have.) I've run a Celeron 300A, a PII 350, and a P!!! 550 in it.

7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Many "last generation" P-II boards were capable of supporting Pentium II and early Pentium III CPUs.

Pentium II is only available in Slot-1, which happens to be the same socket which early Pentium IIIs used as well. This is actually very simliar to older Socket A boards support early Athlon XPs.

If you happen to have a Pentium 400MHz or better, there is a very good chance your board will support a Pentium III 450 or 500Mhz. The most these boards usually support is 550MHz.

8. cubecompMTDX

cubecompMTDX TS Rookie Posts: 48

Some particular motherboards that support Slot 1 P III CPUs also support Socket 370 Coppermines. To use these, you will need a "Slocket" Adapter, which you could probably get on eBay.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.