Pentium upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to know how to determine if I can replace a Pentium II with a Pentium III. I have a computer with the II currently in it and have a III left over from another computer and I'd like to upgrade it. Can someone help me figure out how to determine this? thanks in advance.

razorsmom:confused:

I don't think that a Pentium II motherboard will support a Pentium III. From what I can remember Pentium II used socket 7 and Pentium III used socket 370. I might be wrong as I haven't verified this. But if you check the web for information on your motherboard is will surely include information stipulating which processors it supports..

There are some very freaky mobos that support both PII and PIII in slot and socket configuration.

Yes - in fact, many of the A-Bit boards were capable of this - including the A-Bit BH6 (which I have.) I've run a Celeron 300A, a PII 350, and a P!!! 550 in it.

Many "last generation" P-II boards were capable of supporting Pentium II and early Pentium III CPUs.

Pentium II is only available in Slot-1, which happens to be the same socket which early Pentium IIIs used as well. This is actually very simliar to older Socket A boards support early Athlon XPs.

If you happen to have a Pentium 400MHz or better, there is a very good chance your board will support a Pentium III 450 or 500Mhz. The most these boards usually support is 550MHz.

Some particular motherboards that support Slot 1 P III CPUs also support Socket 370 Coppermines. To use these, you will need a "Slocket" Adapter, which you could probably get on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back