People are already lining up to reserve a Tesla Model 3

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tesla on Thursday will reveal to the world its first affordable mass market electric sedan, the Model 3. Many view the unveiling as a turning point for the company, the culmination of more than a decade of work leading up to this point.

Predictably, the event is attracting its fair share of attention from media and fans alike. Tesla revealed in an e-mail earlier this month that it would only have room for 650 current Tesla owners and their guests at the event.

A week later, the electric vehicle maker detailed how it planned to handle reservations.

Those interested in reserving a Model 3 have two different options. Because the car will be sold on a first come, first serve basis, prospective buyers will no doubt want to get their order in ASAP. The best way to do that is to place a reservation at your local Tesla dealership when it opens on March 31 which is exactly what people are doing.

Multiple publications are reporting that people are already lining up outside of Tesla stores across the country. That’s the kind of behavior you typically see with an iPhone launch or a midnight game release, not in the automotive industry. What’s more, these people are queuing up to put money down on something they haven’t even seen yet and won’t receive until late 2017 at the earliest.

Tesla’s Model 3 unveiling begins at 8:30 pm PDT and will be streamed live over the Internet.

Image courtesy EFTM via Electrek

Permalink to story.

When a new iPhone just isn't hipster enough for your six-figure lifestyle.
At least I can understand this more than iphones - you cant order them online and tesla will probably have backed up demand for years instead of weeks with apple.

What's more, these people are queuing up to put money down on something they haven't even seen yet and won’t receive until late 2017 at the earliest.

Check out Vegas, you will see many more people putting their money on things way more stupid. Somehow it doesn't inspire me to follow the stupid horde.

When Tesla first came up, it was laughable, and still is. I car that commands so much premium over a gasoline counterpart that you would need to drive it for 15 years to start saving? It will likely fall apart twice by then, especially given how immature the manufacturer is.

Real money saving today is in 2-liter diesel engines (2016 Audi A4 is one of the best examples, costs $38K). The rest is a scam.

Last edited:
What's more, these people are queuing up to put money down on something they haven't even seen yet and won’t receive until late 2017 at the earliest.

Check out Vegas, you will see many more people putting their money on things way more stupid. Somehow it doesn't inspire me to follow the stupid horde.

When Tesla first came up, it was laughable, and still is. I car that commands so much premium over a gasoline counterpart that you would need to drive it for 15 years to start saving? It will likely fall apart twice by then, especially given how immature the manufacturer is.

Real money saving today is in 2-liter diesel engines (2016 Audi A4 is one of the best examples, costs $38K). The rest is a scam.
that audi A4 that costs 3,000 more than this tesla people are lining up to buy...?

that audi A4 that costs 3,000 more than this tesla people are lining up to buy...?

Ok, let's compare it otherwise... these will have worse range than Tesla Model S. Maybe for people whose time wasted charging this thing costs nothing, but I think people who do not value their time are also the ones who do not have money at all? Kind of controversial? :)

The truth is, that queue for the new Tesla is made of the same kind of people who queue for iPhones. There is a word for them,...but I think I already mentioned it before ;)

Oh you mean like the kind of scam Volkswagen has been running with all their diesel emissions (including VW, Audi, and Porsche)? That kind of scam?

A 2L diesel or gas engine even with turbos isn't going to outperform an electric vehicle just yet. At least us fans of electronics hope not. If this $40k model 3 does 0 to 60 in 5s or less that's really impressive given the cost and weight of the car.

Probably. Luxury sports cars are pre-ordered all the time. Tech websites simply don't make light of it.

Maybe for people whose time wasted charging this thing costs nothing, but I think people who do not value their time are also the ones who do not have money at all? Kind of controversial? :)

For someone that would drive their car for 16 hours a day, for sure don't buy this. But, if you are like the average person and use your car for a couple hours a day, that extra 2 min to hook up your charger is really gonna be a deal breaker :)

Ok, let's compare it otherwise... these will have worse range than Tesla Model S. Maybe for people whose time wasted charging this thing costs nothing, but I think people who do not value their time are also the ones who do not have money at all? Kind of controversial? :)

The truth is, that queue for the new Tesla is made of the same kind of people who queue for iPhones. There is a word for them,...but I think I already mentioned it before ;)
Yea I dont think this car is exactly marketed to people driving 200 miles a day on a regular basis...

90% of my driving could be done with a Tesla current cars or a Model 3, but I can't afford to have a second vehicle for the remaining 10%. The remaining 10% is highway driving and the extremely limited range is what makes those cars unsuitable. One highway trip I make a half-dozen times a year is about 720 km each way and takes less than 7 hours in my Chevy van - including a 10 or 15 minute break in the middle for gas and a pee break. The two Tesla owners I know need to make the same trip: it takes them 10 hours instead of 7 and they don't dare make the trip on even a medium cold winter day of -20C because it drastically cuts their range - forget about -30 or -35. And this summer we'll find out how they manage that trip when it is +35C outside. Unlike me, they *can* afford to have second vehicles for their highway driving ... so they do and that's what they usually use for non-local trips.

When I can safely make that trip regardless of the weather without needing more than a 30 minute charging stop, then a purely electric vehicle will be worth considering. In the meantime, I'm waiting on a hybrid that can give me at least 100 km on the battery for my normal day-to-day driving and has a gasoline engine to give me the range I need for highway driving.

People always seem to be "getting in line", to reserve something from Elon Musk. Then they spend a lot more time, not getting it.

Wanna know why a car you assume should cost $25.000. costs $35.000.? Check Musk's pockets

Last edited:

A 2L diesel or gas engine even with turbos isn't going to outperform an electric vehicle just yet. At least us fans of electronics hope not. If this $40k model 3 does 0 to 60 in 5s or less that's really impressive given the cost and weight of the car.

Well, check out Subaru WRX STI. For the same price it will easily outperform Model 3

Back