People are stealing iPhones from Apple stores by dressing like employees

midian182

Staff member

Walk into any Apple store and you can easily identify an employee by their blue shirts. But it turns out that while this recognizable attire may be helpful to customers, it has enabled thieves to steal thousands of dollars worth of iPhones, simply by dressing in similar clothes and taking goods from the stores.

According to DNA Info, a man wearing a blue shirt resembling those worn by official Apple store employees walked into a New York City SoHo outlet on June 1. He then entered the electronics repair room, grabbed 19 iPhones - worth over $16,000 – and passed them to an accomplice to hide under his shirt. The pair proceeded to walk casually out of the store without anyone realizing what had happened.

But this wasn’t the first time the method had been used. Earlier in the year, three individuals stole eight iPhones from an Upper West Side Apple outlet. Reports state that a male distracted staff while a woman – dressed as an Apple worker – grabbed the devices. A second male kept lookout during the robbery.

A month after this incident, the trio hit the shop for a second time using the same ruse. On this occasion, they managed to make off with 59 iPhones. In total, the 67 stolen handsets amount to almost $50,000.

One of the reasons why the criminals targetted the store is because it’s used as a training location where new workers come and go all the time.

Gizmodo points out that Apple’s 2015 ‘Back to Blue’ campaign, which stated that variations of the blue shirts were to be worn all year round - rather than staff changing uniforms seasonally - could have made the heists easier to pull off, as the clothes are easy to replicate or buy online.

Image credit: endermasali / shutterstock

Permalink to story.

While I dislike Apple for their stunningly large profit margin charged on their products as well as their dubious tax avoidance strategies, sometimes I feel like thieves such as this are the bane of my existence. I suspect they would just as willingly steal from you or me and unlike Apple I cannot afford to so easily replace things.
It also bothers me that people who steal like this cannot be doing it in isolation, in other words other people know and condone this activity rather than turning them in and when you read about the number of these types of crimes you know it cannot be the activities of an extremely small group of people, rather a larger number of people either are doing it, or know people who are doing it and are doing nothing about it.
This leads to a society where you can't, for example, leave a bike outside a store while you go in, leave a garage door or front door open while you're in the yard, own anything with any perceived value outside overnight etc or it will be defaced or ripped off. Not the kind of society I enjoy living in.

All they have to do is mark the ESN for the phones as stolen. Nobody will be able to activate the phones. The thieves basically risked getting caught for nothing. When I worked at GTE we had a report of all stolen ESN's that people attempted to activate. The people were contacted and asked where they bought the phone. Not too hard to track down the people selling the stolen phones.

All they have to do is mark the ESN for the phones as stolen. Nobody will be able to activate the phones. The thieves basically risked getting caught for nothing. When I worked at GTE we had a report of all stolen ESN's that people attempted to activate. The people were contacted and asked where they bought the phone. Not too hard to track down the people selling the stolen phones.

Right? You'd think they'd steal something that isn't it's own tracking device.

While I dislike Apple for their stunningly large profit margin charged on their products as well as their dubious tax avoidance strategies, sometimes I feel like thieves such as this are the bane of my existence. I suspect they would just as willingly steal from you or me and unlike Apple I cannot afford to so easily replace things.

Of course they would, they only stole from Apple because they had valuable stuff that wasn't locked down. And if you don't lock down your stuff it's your own fault. last night I left my car out and forgot to lock it - today my sunglasses were NOT stolen and I felt lucky. Is that sad to assume theft and feel lucky when it doesn't happen? Yeah, but that's how it is.

In this case Apple was the easiest mark. You know the saying... you don't need to outrun the bear, you just need to outrun the guy next to you. Apple should pay attention.

That's actually pretty cleaver.

Not really. Thieves do this at every retail store on the planet. Asset protection is typically a little quicker to the punch though.

The real story here is that Apple management didn't see fit to put supervisors or asset protection in sensitive spots, knowing full well the trainee staff wouldn't know who is who. Or, at the very least, a damn coded door lock.

It's actually somewhat amusing. Every device in the building has a fingerprint lock so your device is secure, but their repair room is wide open.

You need to be smarter about where you sell things like that, only the stupid ones out to make a quick buck without thinking would sell where they are known. The smarter ones (who have not been caught) don't sell where they live, commandment 4 and 5 apply when selling anything not strictly legal :)

Can still work outside Canada/USA though.

But how did they manage to deceive the 'Genius'?
Do you take all things in life and advertising as literal? The more things you take as literal, the lower the intelligence typically since you can not conceptualize the true intended meaning.

I don't understand. How can a normal person put on a blue shirt and suddenly become a genius? That's a word reserved for an incredibly select group of people whose intellect outstrips our own by orders of magnitude. Apple scour the globe for these individuals snapping them up and offering them irresistible jobs working on the floors of their temples to conspicuous consumption. Surely these intellectual powerhouses would notice when an imposter walks amongst them?

Apple has to make up the loss of the thefts so they may as well jack up the prices of their goods, the iSheep will pick up the slack as usual.

Do you take all things in life and advertising as literal? The more things you take as literal, the lower the intelligence typically since you can not conceptualize the true intended meaning.

It was a joke. Jeez.

It also bothers me that people who steal like this cannot be doing it in isolation, in other words other people know and condone this activity rather than turning them in and when you read about the number of these types of crimes you know it cannot be the activities of an extremely small group of people, rather a larger number of people either are doing it, or know people who are doing it and are doing nothing about it.
This leads to a society where you can't, for example, leave a bike outside a store while you go in, leave a garage door or front door open while you're in the yard, own anything with any perceived value outside overnight etc or it will be defaced or ripped off. Not the kind of society I enjoy living in.
Don't forget about their near slave foxconn factories.

A friend of a friend stole beer in high school in similiar way. He put to 30 packs in a grocery cart acted filled the rest with groceries taking his time going up and down every isle. Then simply walked out the door, pushed his cart to his friends pickup truck loaded the beer\steaks\chips and left the rest.
+

Skip to 50 sec+

Blacklisting the ESNs will stop them from being activated. That's it. No one is going to question where you got it or come looking for it. Even with a bad ESN, the phones are worth 75%+ of the retail value for parts. A good ESN from a broken phone can easily be flashed to the stolen one. Not to mention that people organized and skilled enough to steal $50,000 worth at a time are not selling single phones on Craigslist to unsuspecting people. All those phones went to one person/group who were waiting for them when they were stolen.

large profit margins and tax minimization strategies are both legal

large profit margins and tax minimization strategies are both legal
So....I'm not allowed to dislike a company that charges $800 for a $200 phone and keeps billions offshore, out of the economy, to avoid paying income tax? What am I supposed to do, admire them? Legal doesn't always mean admirable, moral, worthy or deserving of praise. I'm saddened when I see individuals making low income pay more tax as a percentage of their income than Apple (Google, large banks etc) pay less on their billions. Sorry, but I'm not impressed.

Back