TechSpot

Performance Issues

By andy06shake
Jul 22, 2008
  1. Hi, hope someone here can help me. I am having some sort of performance issues with my new gaming rig(E8500 3.16Ghz, Asus P5N32-E SLI, 2Gb Geil DDR2 533Mhz, Asus EN9600GT). I have updated the bios to latest revision(1405) and have latest Nvidia drivers instaled. When i am running latest games at even the lowest settings(800x600 no antianilising) the FPS is around 5-10. Can anyone out there help as i am new to this, not a complete noob, and have been at this problem for a week. Could it be something to do with the memory configuration. Im running in duel chanel mode but the DRAM frequency in the timmings section of CPU-Z is only 266.7Mhz. Shouldent it be 533Mhz, because thats what the memory is rated at? I will attatch the CPU-Z images for you to see. Any input appresated!

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

No CPU Z info attached.
    Pull and reseat your memory, then run MemTest86 for four hours or seven passes, testing one module at a time. See if one module is faster than the other, or defective.
    Check your nVidia drivers... the usual problem. Look for red and yellow flags in the device manager. Reinstall the drivers after removing or disabling the old ones.
    But to have both low memory reads and low FPSl

3. andy06shake

andy06shake TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 327

Thanx for your help, I have allready look at the memory with other prog, seems fine. Checked latest drivers(nvidia build 7.15.0011 7474). How can i find out if how to set the timmings for my memory in the bios(Geil DDR2 533Mhz CAS4). Geil.com are no help at all? Could this be the problem?

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

You might want to look at the ASUS site for what they say about memory. Some ASUS boards are very strange about what memory is acceptable... down to brand and model.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.