Persistent pop-up ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

I was on a web-site this morning when a pop-up said that "your computer may be running slow, due to infections, click yes to have it scanned now"...or words to that effect, I clicked "no", it went to the site where I could click on "scan now", I went back to the previous page, then forward again, it popped up again, I clicked the top right corner, it didn't go, but connected me with the site again.
I even clicked "yes" thinking I would be given the choice to decline [silly me!]
In the end, I had to abandon the original web-site I was on,& was unable to perform the action I intended, is ths "legal" inasmuch that there is no way to avoid it, it looks genuine, blue border, the usual warning red "X", clearly labelled "advertisment" in the bottom right corner.

Maurice
bad%20news.gif

Well the legality of it is being tested in court right now. But at the current time it is legal for them to do this, otherwise it wouldn't be there. Now is it moral or right? That is a whole other discussion. It can be quite cumbersome to have to deal with pop ups, but they are out there, and always will be. The best thing you can do is click the topmost X in the right corner, sometimes they will have their own false X which will still take you to their site.

Thanks, poertner1274, I'm pleased to see that the courts are looking at the legality, how many years will that take, I wonder?.
As for the cross I clicked, it was definitely the very normal top right "X", if so, they are more devious than we thought, & in this instance, they are more illegal than was imagined, is there an IE ombudsman, that these matters can be reported to, perhaps?

Maurice
thumbs.gif

I have been on web sites that restrict use of back button
if your browser supports this open all back instances by clicking on the little arrow next to back button drop down menu shows previous pages click on the safe one

Have you installed SP2 for XP? its built in popup blocker should take care of *Most* popups.

Samstoned said:
I have been on web sites that restrict use of back button
if your browser supports this open all back instances by clicking on the little arrow next to back button drop down menu shows previous pages click on the safe one
Samstoned, thanks for trying to help, but as I explained, if I go back to a previous page, it doesn't solve the fact that I can't do what I want on the original site.

Maurice.

SNGX1275; I am in two minds about installing SP2, [now there's a change!, me unsure???] there are apparently a lot of pro's & con's, & it's the con's I'm concerned about, purely looking at it from my view.

Maurice

sounds to me like either powerscan or purity scan which are both malware.
my brother had these and he didnt clean them up only to get a blue screen all the time.

download ad-aware SE and all upgrades and also spybot s&d start your pc in safe mode run both programs and fix all that gets found. then get hold of a copy of hijack this, create a log and then post it here. all of these programs are free to download and have no time restrictions.

also a quick tip get mozilla firefox (which is free) install it and use it instead of internet explorer, it has a built in adblocker and it is a lot quicker than IE

good luck!

Maurice - Have you installed the Google Toolbar? Its pretty safe to install, and it is effective at blocking popups.

SNGX1275 said:
Maurice - Have you installed the Google Toolbar? Its pretty safe to install, and it is effective at blocking popups.

Yes, I've had it for a long time, over the last year or so it has blocked over 300,....brilliant, it doesn't stop all, but it does a fair old job.

Maurice.

Maurice said:
I was on a web-site this morning when a pop-up said that "your computer may be running slow, due to infections, click yes to have it scanned now"...or words to that effect, I clicked "no", it went to the site where I could click on "scan now", I went back to the previous page, then forward again, it popped up again, I clicked the top right corner, it didn't go, but connected me with the site again.
I even clicked "yes" thinking I would be given the choice to decline [silly me!]
In the end, I had to abandon the original web-site I was on,& was unable to perform the action I intended, is ths "legal" inasmuch that there is no way to avoid it, it looks genuine, blue border, the usual warning red "X", clearly labelled "advertisment" in the bottom right corner.

Maurice
bad%20news.gif
As said above there is false x corners to close but you can always go to your desk top and end task,this will disable that site!

Maurice said:
Thanks, poertner1274, I'm pleased to see that the courts are looking at the legality, how many years will that take, I wonder?.
As for the cross I clicked, it was definitely the very normal top right "X", if so, they are more devious than we thought, & in this instance, they are more illegal than was imagined, is there an IE ombudsman, that these matters can be reported to, perhaps?

Paul, please see the quote above, & yes, I'm aware that I can do as you suggest, but thanks anyway, by the way, welcome to TS, it's great, a good way to start 2005!, have you looked in the gallery yet?.....wow, some of those rigs!!
thumbs.gif

Maurice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back