Pesky message on IE7 "Popup blocking software..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

suk

Hi,

Over the last couple of days, every time I use Internet Explorer 7 I get an annoying message saying: "Popup blocking software has prevented display of the Trend Micro Security Services dashboard. Open an Internet Explorer window and enter the following url in the address box: http://tmss.trendmicro.com/dashboard."

Now I have not installed this 'dashboard' thingy or even anything else from Trend Micro . . . Nothing shows up in the remove programmes list either . None of the antivirus, antispyware programmes have found anything on my machine (Norton, Ad-aware, Spybot).

How do I get rid of this pesky thing?

thanks
Suk

Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security has a pop-up blocker, that can cause issues on some web pages.
You can turn this popup blocker off, and just use IE 7 popup blocker (there all over the place! - well two of them)

Or un-install Trend fully (resource hog anyway) and then re-install it (if you have to)

Otherwise use AVG Free Antivirus instead

Um - i don't have Trend Micro PC-cillin installed is what I'm trying to say. this has just appeared by itself . . . I can't uninstall it because I can't see it anywhere. . .

suk

Hi. Ran the utility but there is no sign of anything called Trend micro or Pccillin (or anything with similar initials either) . . .
s.

On Internet Explorers toolbar (press ALT on the keyboard to see it in IE7)
Click Tools
Manage add-ons
And if you see any Trend in there, disable it.

Otherwise re-download IE7, then remove MS IE7 from Add/Remove progs. Then re-install it clean

An identical message that "suk" reports has begun to appear on at least 2 PC's in the office where I work. None of the machines has Trendmicro software installed or running on them, nor do we detect Trendmicro add-ons to IE.

The only changes to the office network is that a new router & modem was installed to the server. I checked the router's packaging info & noticed "TMSS (Trend Micro Security Service) Support" in the list of the product's features. The router is made by ZyXEL.

Is this something we can fix on our own or should we contact our tech support service?

Forgot to add that I did a search on the TrendMicro website for TMSS and there seems to be no such product/service!

yes, i still don't know what was causing it. though i did subsequently fid some backdoor.trojans on my machine. i did follow the instruction that 'kimsland' wrote in with but it kept reappearing even then. then one fine day it has just disappeared (finger's crossed). I think it's definitely a virus/trojan related problem. try following the instructions and see what happens.

cheers
suk

This pesky message is generated by the ZyXel router/modem:
To remove it you, need to access the modem by typing:
http-192.168.1.1 and enter password (if needed)
1. Select the Advanced tab:
2. Click on TMSS.
3. Disable TMSS by removing checkmark on "Enable Trend Micro ...."
This should do it.
If not, continue with the following:
In the Exception list, add (Add>>) your computer's IP address that you want to exclude (by typing "ipconfig /all" from a command prompt).
Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back