PFN List Corrupt - BSOD'S

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_gas

Hi, for the past couple of months i have been getting bsod's messages when multi tasking on my pc. It doesnt seem to happen when i am just playing games.
Heres what i have done so far.

Ran disk check, defragged, ran mem test and passed 22 times with 0 errors, ran prime 95 for a few hours with no errors.

I will include some of my mini dumps in the hope that someone can help me. Ill be back with them shortly.

System Specs (system 8 months old)

Core2Duo E6600
2 Gig Corsair DDR2 800Mhz
2x150 Gig Raid
2 x Radeon X1950XTX
7.1 Audigy 4 Pro
20.1 Syncmaster Widescreen

Error code in event viewer is

Error code 0000004e, parameter1 00000099, parameter2 00030272, parameter3 00000003, parameter4 00000000.

two possibilities: Bad memory (ie failure to read correctly a page) or a
bad disk

get a copy of memtest.exe and verify your memory is good

also a copy of Everest Home Ed and access the Sensor data for SMART hds.
every time you BSOD, reboot and monitor the SMART data for an increase in
errors -- if so, it's the HD, else more likely to be the memory.

Here is my latest mini dump of the pfn list error that keeps bugging me and my system, im keen to find out what it is.

Attachments

• Mini071007-01.zip
    34.2 KB · Views: 32
The PFN is a symptom, not a cause. It was created by a bad MEMORY or HD read/write.
These are hard to tell apart.

Just an update guys. I said in my first post I ran memtest, and passed 22 times with 0 errors.

I used Asus Ez Backup Manager to enable raid striping on my hard drive. Smart is enabled in bios, but according to western's diagnostics tool if says smart status fail, I think its not enabled even though it is in bios.

I downlaoded everest and clicked on smart and asked for report and it said this.

See attacked txt file.

Attachments

• Report.txt
    29.5 KB · Views: 31
As Memtest isn't perfect, try running just one stick of RAM at a time. Swap them over if it still crashes, or after a period of time where it hasn't crashed.

Ok will do, in the meantime i ran western digitals hard disk check utility. It reported this.

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: External Disk 0
Unit Serial Number: 0433D5F_395757_4_0_8
Firmware Number: RGL10364
Capacity: 320.08 GB
SMART Status: FAIL
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 09:12:01, July 11, 2007

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: External Disk 0
Unit Serial Number: 0433D5F_395757_4_0_8
Firmware Number: RGL10364
Capacity: 320.08 GB
SMART Status: FAIL
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 09:12:32, July 11, 2007

What you want is not the REPORT but the Storate->SMART info

see attached.

Attachments

• Everest-SMART-2.jpg
    Everest-SMART-2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 33
jobeard said:
What you want is not the REPORT but the Storate->SMART info

see attached.

Ah its empty on mine, thats what i dont get because i have it enabled in the bios. My pc came set up uisng 2x150gig hd's through sata, and raid enabled through intel storage matrix manager, but i dont have any floppy disks so i had to connect the hard drives to the Ez back manager jumpers to enable raid that way, maybe thats why im not sure.

Connect the proper power cable to your video card... Everest reports that it is not connected. A SMART failure status is an indication of an impending hard drive failure. Believe me, this is serious

Tmagic650 said:
Connect the proper power cable to your video card... Everest reports that it is not connected. A SMART failure status is an indication of an impending hard drive failure. Believe me, this is serious

Ok thanks for your input mate. However i do have the connectors connected to both my graphics cards, is it even possible to have the wrong one connected when they both fit in perfectly?

Try swapping the power connectors... It is possible that Everest is not reporting correctly because you have 2 video cards installed. How big is your power supply in wattage? What is the model and name of the supply?

Tmagic650 said:
Try swapping the power connectors... It is possible that Everest is not reporting correctly because you have 2 video cards installed. How big is your power supply in wattage? What is the model and name of the supply?

Dang i cant remember the name of it, i know its a pretty decent one though as it was reccomended by my oem, and this oem only supply good parts over here in the uk. Its either 600W or 680W. Im getting a new cpu cooler on friday, so when i fit that in ill have a look and double check the name and get back to you on that one. I just wish i would get some more bsod's, but since i posted this i have only had one which i uploaded, my oem will repalce any damaged parts for free up unitll october, so i have some time to play with yet.

Ok guys I have 4 more dumps for you to inspect.
(excuse the way I put that)

Attachments

• Dumps.zip
    66.4 KB · Views: 15
Ati2mtag.sys is the offending driver this time. As you can guess, the has to do with your ATI video

yea i used overdrive to let it auto overclock in catalyst control centre and it crashed the system several times, last time i use that. Still that has nothing to do with the crash im worried about. Cheers anyway mate.

Tmagic650 said:
So even if you don't overclock Catalyst, the BSOD's continue to happen?

Basically yes. Yesterday i tried to run some overclocks on the gpu's, they didnt like it. Reverted back to my old overclocks and things seem more stable.

So in my eyes, its either my hard drive, one of my two ram sticks or one of my two graphics cards. SMART is enabled, but according to every utility its disabled. I ran western diagnostics hd utility, which says my smart status has failed, it does pass all the tests tho and it says my hd is healthy. I ran memtest on my 2 gigs of ddr and passed no less than 22 times, with 0 errors. I guess it could the ram on one or both of my video cards, but i find that unlikely. Sheeesh!

Ok, another day some more bsod's, i had an attack of them when playing san andreas online, summit was really up.

the_gas said:
Basically yes. Yesterday i tried to run some overclocks on the gpu's, they didnt like it. Reverted back to my old overclocks and things seem more stable.
How about going back to stock settings to see if things stabilize. Your CPU is at 3153MHz from a stock of 2400MHz. How much are the video cards overclocked?

I've seen on numerous occasions where, after a period of time, a once stable overclock is no longer stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back