TechSpot

PhotoMath uses your smartphone's camera to solve math problems

By Shawn Knight
Oct 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Math was never my strongest subject in school. While I could manage geometry and trig, other parts of mathematics like algebra and calculus just never clicked with me. Perhaps if I had MicroBlink's latest app, I might have fared a...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

Just who are they trying to help with this app? It seems only to attract cheats from secondary schools, nobody else.

Making sure that every next generation is dumber than the previous one, that's all it will do.

Megalithic likes this.
  3. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,181   +528

This reminds me of that Big Bang episode where they make their own app

aMerkuri likes this.
  4. My Cal2 professor assigns problems in the book that do not have the answers in the back. The point of the homework is to learn how to do the problem. If you think you are doing the problem correctly, but are in fact doing it incorrectly, you will only fail the test. I use tools like integral calculator to compare my answer with the right answer to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. You can't really use these tools for cheating because, in my experience, math teachers give no credit if you don't show your work.

Littleczr likes this.
  5. Megalithic

Megalithic TS Rookie

I would pay $50.00 for this app I deal with math all day everyday. it would help stop the migrains.

6. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,897   +940

It says in the article that it is basically an advertisement for their photo recognition algorithms and they are looking at selling the technology to other companies.

7. It's really a demo and while interesting not that great. It does not understand hand written numbers or numbers on a monitor, they must be printed out. It's not that fast and would not be a good instrument for cheating hence why they are not concerned about it. A nice calculator would be much better for math problems.

8. Math is for IT what the Moon is for the Sun, if you don't know how to organize yourself ...

9. Therefore, I'm finishing with-> if the earth can't see the light, blindness ... and human invented sources of energy ... the light is the process of organization that allows to improve accuracy and reduce speculation ...

The time asks the time how many time the time has ...

10. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,953   +162

Well now at least its not just the rich kids who can cheat.

11. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Addict Posts: 439   +84

Professors ban phones on test as it is. The usefulness on this is showing you how they came up with the answer. I wonder if it will recognize handwriting as well.

12. Tstriano81

Tstriano81 TS Rookie

You are also not a high school or middle school student!! I love how my students get all their homework correct and them bomb their quizzes! Gee I wonder why - now let's think of creative ways to explain why to their parents in a conference. Younger kids do not care about the responsible way to use such a tool - they only care about getting the right answer "the grade" and figure they will just "bs" the steps on an assessment; as if teachers are dumb and their in a history class where grading is subjective. I agree with VitalyT 150% - ha do the math there!!

13. Tstriano81

Tstriano81 TS Rookie

Kids DO NOT CARE if they learn the steps! They only care about getting the right answer. Then by the time they get to the more complicated ones, they already cheated through the foundational steps and are too far behind to go back. Math builds with each chapter and if they are just cheating through the homework to get that "a" by copying the steps and answers down that this app conveniently gives them, then they lost the foundational knowledge for which they should have tried to figure out on their own. This is where learning gaps get created and they fail - they get too far behind by the time they realize they cheated themselves that whole time. Meanwhile parents sit there confused as to why their kids cannot pass tests when they do so so well on their homework!! Oh and then let's add how they love to blame the teachers for that. Teachers are defenseless against this app!!