PhotoShop help

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

Is there a way to get the image below down to a 70X70 pixel image and still have at least a reasonable amount of clarity? When it comes to PhotoShop, I'm ranked below an beginner. I've cropped it and gotten the image to the size, ala my avatar, but it's not clear enough. Can someone tell my how or give me a link, telling me how to get this image, so that it looks like a car instead of a red blur at that size, or is it even possible. I've got an original picture in a higher and a lower resolution if it helps to start with a different one.

DSCF0003.JPG

Olefarte; It actually looks pretty clear.

If you can crop it to some multiple of 70x70 that is as close as possible in size to its original, then resize it that will probably be about the best you can do. Though I'm not sure how to size a crop selection to a certain size. I wish I did though because it would make a lot of things much easier to do.

iss: Actually the one he has looks clearer and doesnt have the black line at the bottom :D

yeah his does and I didnt crop it or sharpen the image I just wanted to see if that is the size he was talking about.

plus that isnt Photoshop that was done with irfan a freeware graphics program.

Acid, I've tried cropping in multiples like you said or close to it, (manually and guessing, several times), but the one I'm using is the best I could do.

iss, I think to that the one I'm using is not much different, than yours. The one on my avatar, is a different shot, but basically the same thing.

Guess I'll live with what I have or go back to my old "Dummies" book avatar. Thanks guys for the help.

Edit; Granted I don't know much about PhotoShop, but whenever I've tried to "sharpen" the image it didn't help, actually made it worse in my opinion. I didn't use it my avatar, but "unsharp" is a pretty handy little tool though, for touching up, if used sparingly.

Ok this is with it cropped and sharpened. sharpening does not help much on a original size pic but once you reduce the pic in size it can help a little.

Attachments

• olefarte2.jpg
    olefarte2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 10
Well, this is the best i could do.. Had to crop it to fit into 70x70 box. Not much improvement over iss' image really..
C_S_DSCF0003.png

I must admit, it does look a little sharper than mine. But I guess, I'm still looking for something like the original. I take it from this little exercise that's not possible. I always thought taking an image from high res. down would yield a good quality image, but apparently not. Limits of my monitor maybe?

I admit I run a fairly low res. on my desktop, but if I go to a higher res. I can't see the darn picture anyway at 70x70, it's to small.

Nodsu, I think I like that. Looks better in my avatar to me. Thanks.

I'll still be playing around though. My object is to someday in my lifetime learn PhotoShop and AnimationShop, although I really don't think I've got enough time left, from the looks of things. I've lost a little interest since I can't display anything in my sig. line. That was kind of a good showcase for my ignorance.

This one is a little extreme ...

Attachments

• c_s_dscf0003.png
    c_s_dscf0003.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 11
The sharpen feature will work much better if you sharpen the large image then crop down to the smaller image, or sharpen and apply a slight gaussian blur. Normally like you said it makes things look worse. Most people use the sharpen tool when creating textures since it's not really of any use when working with photos (at least most of the time).

You should go buy a Photoshop book or play with some tutorials on the Internet. Once you get the hang of some things it can be a pretty rewarding experience.

I guess I'm going to have to buy a book like you said, since I don't have one. I've been useing some things I found on the net, but I'll tell you it's complcated, for me at least. But, yes, some of the things I've done, while simple for most, amazing to me, have been very rewarding. From what I've found, it's a lot trial and error.

Let me recommend a book for you. "Photoshop 5.5 Artistry". You might be able to find a newer version of the book for Photoshop 6 or 7 though. I've had this book for about 3 years. It has a whole lot of useful information in it and if your interested in doing any photo composites or photo editing of any kind it will have you on your way to doing some pretty nice work in a matter of days.

I always hate to tell someone to go out and buy anything when they get the information on the Internet or come out someway cheaper, but if your interested in working in Photoshop then it's worth it.

Ok, I did a search on www.barnesandnoble.com and they have Photoshop 7 Artistry for $38.50.
Link: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2TRN8UKCVK&isbn=0735712409&itm=1

I've got PhotoShop 6, and I've picked up quite a bit from the net, well not really that much, the basics I guess, but a start. But as you said, what I'd really like to get into is photo editing. I think I'll get a book, the one you recomended looks pretty good.

A clear photo compressed into a 70 pixel image is nothing short of a miracle. ;) You won't get much better than that.

One trick is to sharpen the image a LOT before you resize it. Color is also important. You want rich colors with high contrast so the difference between edges is the best possible clarity. Here's my stab at it, but as you can see... It makes little difference.

A 70 pixel image is just that... A 70 pixel image.

car.jpg

A clear photo compressed into a 70 pixel image is nothing short of a miracle. You won't get much better than that.
That's pretty much the conclusion I came to, but I was hoping there was something else to be done. I just wanted to get the best avatar of my little toy I could.

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate your time on this little project.

olefarte; No problem. If you have any questions feel free to email me or something sometime. I've been doing compositing, web design, etc for a few years now and went to college for computer animation so I've been working with Photoshop for a few years. I'm far from a pro but I'm sure I can give you a helping hand.

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back