Photoshop: Looking for Experienced Input

By Route44
Oct 1, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. My son is using Adobe's Photoshop at school and loves it. His teacher said that he didn't want the Elements version because it is too limited in scope. However, the full CS versions whether 3, 4, and especially 5 are way out of my league price wise.

I've noticed the option of the Extended version and would like feedback on the pros and cons of this version. Or any other advice you could give will be very welcomed.

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

The Extended version is simply CS5 with extra tools for 3D image editing etc.

You can buy the Student & Teacher edition of CS5 Extended for $200 with free shipping, provided your son's school is eligible. Check it out here.
  3. bobcat

bobcat TechSpot Paladin Posts: 688   +67

As a totally free alternative that doesn’t sacrifice much of Photosphop’s feel and facilities, you could consider the open source GIMPshop.

As per its description,

Personally, I can’t understand why people pay for something that has an equally good free alternative. Besides, developers of good, free software should be supported and encouraged.