Photoshop: Looking for Experienced Input

Route44

My son is using Adobe's Photoshop at school and loves it. His teacher said that he didn't want the Elements version because it is too limited in scope. However, the full CS versions whether 3, 4, and especially 5 are way out of my league price wise.

I've noticed the option of the Extended version and would like feedback on the pros and cons of this version. Or any other advice you could give will be very welcomed.

Thanks.

The Extended version is simply CS5 with extra tools for 3D image editing etc.

You can buy the Student & Teacher edition of CS5 Extended for $200 with free shipping, provided your son's school is eligible. Check it out here.

As a totally free alternative that doesn’t sacrifice much of Photosphop’s feel and facilities, you could consider the open source GIMPshop.

As per its description,

GIMPshop is a modification of the free/open source GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP), intended to replicate the feel of Adobe Photoshop. Its primary purpose is to make users of Photoshop feel comfortable using GIMP.

It shares all GIMP's advantages, including the long feature list and customisability, while addressing some common criticisms regarding the program's interface: GIMPshop modifies the menu structure to closely match Photoshop's, adjusts the program's terminology to match Adobe's, and, in the Windows version, uses a plugin called 'Deweirdifier' to combine the application's numerous windows in a similar manner to the MDI system used by most Windows graphics packages. While GIMPshop does not support Photoshop plugins, all GIMP's own plugins, filters, brushes, etc. remain available.

http://www.gimpshop.com/

Personally, I can’t understand why people pay for something that has an equally good free alternative. Besides, developers of good, free software should be supported and encouraged.

Back