TechSpot

Photoshop not responding

By hamfam
Jul 23, 2006
  1. I have a problem with Photoshop - it boots ok, the splash screen dissapears and everything looks normal, all menus are present, the toolbars are as normal.
    It all looks fine untill i click on anything at which point the menus instantly dissapear the tool bars are blanked and the header says not responding. The same effect occurs if photoshop is minimised and expanded (without clicking on menus etc)

    I am running win xp home on an acer 5622 intel core duo laptop with ati radeon x1300 mobile graphics card, the is over 50% of the 1gb ram free when photoshop is running, one core is running at 70% load the other at 30% load

    i have tried restricting photoshop to one processor core only with the same results

    Anyone got any ideas?
     
  2. N3051M

    N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

    tried reinstalling it? or check to see if it has an update available for Core Duo support. if its a CS2 version, i'm pretty sure theres an updater somewhere.. (some programs have difficulty with the new processor.. dont know if its only limited to the Mac pcs)

    check if your other programs are blocking it or conflicting with it..
     
  3. hamfam

    hamfam TS Rookie Topic Starter

    Tried re-installing many times, i am using the latest version of CS2 and cannot find any mention of problems with core duo and photoshop on either adobe or microsoft. i did think it could be the ati video driver but i have just removed that and rebooted in windows vga with the same effect
     
  4. N3051M

    N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

    hmm.. tough cookie..

    I want you to try: (if it doesnt work, go to the next)
    -turning off all unnecesary programs in the background
    -download a program called CCleaner, run it (it will help clean up registry related errors)
    -If you have a firewall or internet security, disconnect from the net and disable it
    -checking for warez etc
    -uninstall photoshop, run CCleaner, then reinstall photoshop
    -Go Start>Run. Type in msconfig and click on diagnostic startup. Reboot and run photoshop. Tell me if it works now..
     
  5. hamfam

    hamfam TS Rookie Topic Starter

    Thanks for the response,

    I tried each step as you suggested with the same result, I have even tried booting in safe mode and again the same result.

    I am starting to wonder if this has anything to do with access rights (i'm running xp home not professional) as adobe image ready runs ok and adobe bridge complains that there is no other installed adobe product running.
    I have checked the adobe sight and photoshop should run ok on xp home but i have this niggle that somehow xp home is preventing a proper installation.
    When i get my act together and ghost the drive, i will try loading xp pro (bit loath to do this as it is a pain and the laptop is less than a month old!)
     
  6. N3051M

    N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

    Yeh.. it does seem like photoshop is conflicting with something on your laptop or something..

    I just had a thought: Go to your system properties>Advanced
    -Visual effects set to "let windows decide.."
    -Advanced set to Programs for both
    -Virtual memory set to 1.5 times your ram, or automatic..
     
  7. hamfam

    hamfam TS Rookie Topic Starter

    Checked them and all settings were already at the settings you suggested!
     
  8. N3051M

    N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

    Hmm ok..

    Well, i guess i'm starting to run out of usefull ideas right now, so i'll open the floor to anyone watching..

    Two miracle cures that happen to (usualy) work are format & reinstall or maybe the upgrade... if one has the patiance to..
     
  9. hamfam

    hamfam TS Rookie Topic Starter

    Well i feel a bit of a dummy now - problem solved when i spoke to a tech at adobe
    My Acer laptop has been victim to the welsh crumblies - it came supplied with english-welsh keyboard set in the regional settings, apparently photoshop can't handle this and stops responding.
    Damm welsh speakers! even the majority of the welsh dont speak welsh!

    Apparently most preinstalled windows packages now come with the keyboard language set to welsh.

    Well i'm off now to vote for border controls on the england wales border
     
  10. hamfam

    hamfam TS Rookie Topic Starter

    PS Big thanks for all your help
     
  11. N3051M

    N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

    Lol.. nice :D

    Good to hear its solved. Dont you just hate it when the obvious and simplest answer is just right in front of you? hehe..

    Have fun using Photoshop. Its a great tool, especialy since it costs a fortune for the whole suite :)
    N3051M
     
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add New Comment

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...