Physical memory dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

legandil

when ever i turn on my computer it makes it as far as the windows loading screen then starts the PMD then resets like a few seconds into it, and starts up again, does it over an over until i turn it off at the wall.
any help at all would be appreciated.

That kind of behavior can point to bad RAM (though it can be due to any number of causes). Run Memtest on your RAM. The good thing is that this test starts almost immediately once you boot up and takes over.

See this link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

i did the test i got an error on test 6, then my flatmate turned off the power so i ran it again to be sure and then i got errors on tests 2,4,5 and 6. which means i need some new ram right?

i did the test i got an error on test 6, then my flatmate turned off the power so i ran it again to be sure and then i got errors on tests 2,4,5 and 6. which means i need some new ram right?

Yes, correct. Your memory is corrupted and can only be replaced, not fixed. If you have more than one stick installed take one out and run the test on that stick. Then switch sticks and run the test again yto dtermine if one or all is corrupted.

ok i did what you said, (i only had one 1gb) so i went and got another of the same ram and its still not working

Okay, to make sure we are on the same page you define PMD as...?

Also, how tech savvy are you? Have you ever repaired or built a PC? The reason I ask is because we can trouble shoot this another way. But before we do we need to know the following:

1. Your system specs. Specifically your motherboard and make and type of RAM.

2. Do you know how to access your BIOS?

* The fact that you got errors with Memtest still points to faulty RAM or it could be the voltage settings are wrong. The BIOS can tell us.

motherboard is an ASUS M2N-MX SE plus
the new ram which is the same as the old is a strontium 1gb pc800

edit: yes sorry i know how to access the BIOS its usualy f2 or f12 and i cant get into it but i could before.
and by PMD i mean physical memory dump i just couldnt be bothered writing the whole lot out sorry

not with computers i did a short course on networking though

does that mean i have to download my BIOS again and reboot it?

Okay, things are becoming much clearer. Asus motherboards are very well known about being picky about the RAM recommended for each and every motherboard thay make. Seriously, we have seen this over and over again with Asus motherboards and memory problems when non-recommended memory is installed, even if it is good memory (they make some great boards).

Go to the Asus website, find your motherboard and they will give a list of recommended memory.

oki will still do that but i just left the computer for a few hours turned it on and ran a windows repair now it works fine. thank you for the help route44 i will keep what you said in mind if the physical memory dump happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back