PicsArt adds AI to gauge your photo's individuality

Shawn Knight

Staff member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: smartphones have afforded the overwhelming majority of Americans the luxury of having a camera with them at all times. It should come as little surprise then that there were more than a trillion photos snapped last year alone and even less of a surprise that a lot of them were duplicates.

Indeed, there once was something magical about taking a camera with you on vacation or just out and about for the weekend but with so many cameras now in circulation and the Internet to help share them, much of that excitement has been lost.

But if you’re still passionate about photography and strive for individuality, you should know that there’s now a tool to lend a hand in your craft.

The latest version of mobile app PicsArt now includes a feature called Similar. As the name suggests, this feature uses artificial intelligence to help you find similar images like the ones you’ve taken or are looking at through the app. PicsArt advertises Similar images quite differently – as a way to draw visual inspiration from others which of course is also a valid use of it.

While viewing an image in the app, simply tap the arrow icon at the bottom of the screen to see more images like it, presented in an easy-to-scroll gallery.

Note that this is simply the latest feature in PicsArt, an established photography and editing application with more than 75 million monthly active users. To try out Similar for yourself, simply download the PicsArt Photo Studio app from the App Store for iOS. Android users can check Google Play although I’m told it won’t be available until “later this week.”

Lead image courtesy Andrea Izzotti, Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Back