Ping Problems - NTL broadband 4mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning

Hope you can help.

Ive recently changed the room which my broadband goes into..nothing major the original wire reached.

However the connection in the back of my modem then snapped - I have got myself another NTL modem which is a slightly different model.

This works and I can go on web, play online games etc. I have not installed software for this modem.

Since this I have done various speed tests which come out around 1970 kb/s.

However playing Medal of Honour online last night my ping was going from 50 to 800/900 constantly - tried numerous servers but nothing better.

Re-booted modem and pc still no difference.

Any ideas?

pc specs - 2.8ghzz - 2gb ram - radeon 7900 gfx card

Thanks In advance

Hi

I use NTL 4meg as well, 99.9% of the time I get what I get pay for, however sometimes my net connection drops to a crawl and I can barely get a page to open.

This is normal behaviour and is to be expected at least once in a while, ringing NTL however wont get you an answer, they will ask can you get to "Ntlworld.com", you answer yes, they say then your internet is fine.

There are also things like time differences to take into account, not everyone uses the web at the same time, the americans for instance may go online at 7pm our time, which can be 11am their time, and so on.

MOH is a popular game and as such they may get congested on the servers, I would think they would need a server farm the size of a small estate to keep everyones ping to a reasonable level.

If it happens again run a tracert and a ping to the server (if you can)and see what you get.

Regards

Thanks for that.

Ive played Mohaa for best part of 4 years online and never had these problems even when I only had a 1mb connection from NTL.

Im think it must be the connection cable from damaging the old modem - this may have been slightly damaged thus losing connection now and then.

Anyone else got any suggestions

ALso how would I run a tracert or ping the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back