pink/purple agp slot please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have recently been given a pc which is slightly better than the one im currently using it has an sis mother board with a 2.6 ghz processer p4 as min is only 1.8 ghz p4 i would like to switch i currenntly use an ati radeon 9600xt 256mb graphic card which is in a brown agp slot the new pc has a pink one when i put the card in its fine with the monitet connected to it but as soon as i install the driver i get problems with black screen which then puts it in sleep mode or it simply keeps crashing and restarting some times i get an error message which says failed to draw or something or unable to communicate with device can anyone help fix this or is it simply because the slot is not compatible.

Are you certain you are not using a PCI-Express slot? That is what all newer computers are using for computer graphics.

An AGP slot requires an AGP video graphics card. The PCI-E slot requires a PCI-Express video graphics card.

definatly not ive been using this card for ages the slot in this machine is agp its brown in colour the other has the same size slot including the split between boards it just happens to be purple orr pink if it was pci express it would be different size altogether surly

unless that is the colour of pci express iknow pci r white and agp brown and pci express i dont know all i know is they come in all sizes ranging from like for 4x to 16x

The color of the slot has no meaning, I have seen slots be alot of different colors. The AGP slot on the computer I am sitting here looking at is orange. Differents slots are "normally" the same color from manufacturer to manufacturer but there is no industry standard. Also cards do not fit in incompatible busses. For example, you will not be able to fit an agp card into a PCI-E slot, or vice-versa... this is the same for PCI... the slots are not the same size and do not line up.

About your question... So it will all work and you have video output from the card until you install the driver? How sure are you that you have the correct and the most up to date driver?

If it worked fine before you installed the driver I would uninstall that driver. You certainly got a reaction from that driver software. Perhaps disable integrated graphics (if equipped). Uninstall driver/doublecheck it's the right one/reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back