Pioneer HTP-GS1 or Logitech Z-5500

Status
Not open for further replies.

British_Command

Im buying a surround sound system in spring and im wondering which to buy Pioneer's xbox 360 themed HTP-GS1 or Logitech's Digital Z-5500.

I can get them both fairly cheap of play.com or amazon.co.uk. Unless there is another new surround sound system coming out by then which will beat them both i wanna know which one is the better choice.

Im pretty sure the better choice is Logitech z-5500. Just want to know.

Thanks!

the thing that concerns me is that the pioneer speakers are not rated at thier RMS wattage. they are rated at 'max wattage', while the amp is rated at the same value in RMS wattage. 'max wattage' is also referred to as 'peak wattage' and 'program wattage'. RMS (root mean square) power ratings tell you what the speakers are actually capable of producing on a constant basis. peak wattage tells you what the speakers can handle for an extremely brief period. obviously, manufacturers use the 'max wattage' spec to make people think speakers are louder than they really are.

the logitech system is rated at 505w RMS, 1010w peak. the pioneers are rated for 600w, but it is unspecified whether that refers to RMS or peak wattage. usually, the only reason a manufacturer does not give the RMS ratings is because the true RMS ratings of the speakers are lower than a comptetitor's, so they use the peak wattage and call it 'total power.' of course, there's no guarantee that this is the case here, but i personally don't trust anything that isn't rated in watts RMS.

at any rate, the logitech system is a safe bet, and i would recommend it over the pioneer model.

creative makes a 700w surround system, in case you were wondering about a more powerful system (500w is plenty though ;) ).

Creative's are probably pretty good, since creative works with sound all the time, they DO make soundblaster after all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back