Pixel Qi begins producing first batch of displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Pixel Qi has been talking up its innovative display technology for months, promising low power consumption together with indoor and outdoor readability for netbooks and specialized tablet devices. While they've already showed off some working samples at Computex and elsewhere, today we are pleased to learn that production is underway for the first batch of screens, with actual products featuring them to become available in Q1 2010.

The company has not yet announced which manufacturers they are working with on these devices but hopes to do so before CES. According to Mary Lou Jepsen, Pixel Qi's founder and former CTO at the One Laptop Per Child organization, several of its partners will be showing multi-touch tablets at the show in Las Vegas next month. She also confirmed that they will be ramping up production next quarter and promised to "make every attempt" at having a limited number of screens available to the DIY community during this timeframe.

Their 3qi display can not only switch between an efficient black-and-white mode and a high resolution color screen, but also to an even less power hungry e-paper mode suitable for reading in direct sunlight.

Permalink to story.

The Pixel Qi screen looks clear and crisp. Would be nice to see this type of quality on handheld devices like ebook readers, or gaming devices such as: PSP or DS :D

OMG! I want one of those. Would love to see the kindle type of screen into a netbook.

Would be really neat to code in there, and the eyes won't complain!

That technology would deffinitely be useful for cellphones and those kind of devices, i hate when I'm outdoors and I have to check something under the sun, I can barely read my cellphone (nokia), not that of a problem with my ipod touch but an improvement would not be rejected :), I hope they get this technology in the shelves soon

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this technology, and it looks like it has potential, and is market ready. I'm waiting to see the exact specs of the display, but this looks good.

I am not sure i would call most of this "new technology". The ipod touch/phone already has an ambient light sensor to automatically raise and lower screen brightness and I saw a demo of something very similar to this at the Microsoft "New Efficiency" Developers Conference. At the conference they demoed integrating an ambient light sensor with contrast/resolution settings on the screen in windows 7. When they shown a very bright light on the screen it decreased the number of colors, increased the contrast, and font size so that you could continue working. Overall i think it is cool, and should be implemented more widely, but not sure i would call this cutting edge.

Looks great compared to the other 2. I sure know that sometimes my laptop screen can get on my nerves since I have a nice shiny screen. Hopefully this will be the new standard if it's as good as it looks.

Wall Street doesn't seem to think it is a technology that deserves attention. It will be interesting to see if they can break through the walls of the competition.
If it is any good, Samsung or Acer will buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back