Plan on changing motherboard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw123

Hi everyone.

I plan to change my motherboard and power supply. For this, i need two things:

1. Will my old RAM(PC2100, DDR333)work in a new mobo that supports DDR400 PC3200 RAM

2. What kind of power supply would i need?

I need the change for gaming, cuz my old mobo sux. For the mobo reccomendation, please make it a socket 478 motherboard with a PCI-E slot if at all possible.

Thank you,

sw123(MY B-DAYS TOMMORROW!!!! 1/21/07 :D)

1. Yes
2. Unless you are planning on adding additional devices (like a new video card), you don't need to replace your power supply

Your memory would still work however the faster memory would have to slow down to its speed, you BIOS will probably correct this. For PSU I would just go with a good company like Antec or OCZ. But I cannot recommend a getting an upgrade for a 478 system. All parts for these computers are discontinued. Get a new PC if you spend to use money. I reccomend AMD.

I plan on adding a video card later, but my PSU is crappy, but for now, i will keep my old onme until I can get a new one.

Thank you

sw123(MY B-DAY'S TODAY! :D)

sw123 said:
Will my old RAM(PC2100, DDR333)work in a new mobo that supports DDR400 PC3200 RAM
yes, your old RAM should work fine in a mobo that supports PC3200. but it will still only run at PC2100 speeds

also, PC2100 = DDR266, not DDR333. (PC2700 = DDR333) ;)

sw123 said:
What kind of power supply would i need?
if all you're doing is changing the motherboard to another socket-478, then you shouldn't need a new PSU.

sw123 said:
I need the change for gaming, cuz my old mobo sux. For the mobo reccomendation, please make it a socket 478 motherboard with a PCI-E slot if at all possible
changing the motherboard won't make your system any better at gaming. your Celeron CPU and PC2100 memory are the bottlenecks in your system, not your motherboard.

IMHO, it's not worth spending money on a new motherboard, PSU, and video-card only to bottleneck it with a slow CPU and slow memory. you would be better off waiting to upgrade until you're ready to upgrade to a newer platform than socket-478.

sw123 said:
(MY B-DAY'S TODAY! :D)
happy birthday!! :D

:wave:

Thank you

Umm...my celly is ok cuz its a 2.6 GHz, and I plan on upgrading to a p4 later, wen i get the money. My PC now plays WoW fine, but on low settings. Also I want ot upgrade to 1 GB of PC3200 and make my PC a decent gaming machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back