Plane almost diverted after someone names Wi-Fi network 'Galaxy Note 7'

midian182

Staff member

In the midst of the exploding Galaxy Note 7 saga, the federal aviation authority took the sensible decision to ban the combustible handset from all US flights. But it seems the infamous smartphone is still causing problems, after a Wi-Fi hotspot named “Galaxy Note7_1097” almost resulted in a plane making an emergency landing.

The BBC reports that the incident occurred on Virgin America flight 358 from San Francisco to Boston. Passenger Lucas Wojciechowski discovered the worryingly named hotspot when he opened his laptop.

Once the crew suspected one of Samsung’s recalled devices could be on the aircraft, an announcement went out for the owner to press their call button. When nobody responded to the request after 15 minutes, the cabin crew announced: "This isn't a joke. We're going to turn on the lights and search everyone's bag until we find it."

After another 15 minutes, the pilot threatened to divert the plane to Wyoming unless the person responsible came forward.  "I don't know if you've ever been diverted at 3am," Wojciechowski said in a Tweet. "Let me tell you, it is terrible. There is nothing open in the terminal. Nothing."

The owner eventually came forward, at which point it was discovered that there was no Galaxy Note 7 on the plane. He or she had only been using its name in their SSID, possibly as a way of trolling other passengers. Wojciechowski believes that no action was taken against the owner.

After the plane had landed, iMore editor Serenity Caldwell tweeted that the ruckus had resulted in the cancelation of the following flight. But Virgin America said no flights were delayed or canceled.

“The U.S. Department of Transportation has banned the transport of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 onboard all U.S. aircraft, and Virgin America actively informs guests that they should not bring these devices onboard. As such, when our InFlight Teammates see potential evidence of this device onboard, they take it seriously. In this case, there was no such device – the safety of the passengers and crew was never in question. And to clarify in your article, no flights were canceled or delayed as a result,” the company said in a statement.

Permalink to story.

As an iPhone 7 Plus 256GB owner, I can't begin to tell you the number of flamewars I'm gonna start using this link from Techspot.

And the sad thing is, the Samsung Galaxy owners simply can't argue at all.

Once this comes on local news - they are just done.

The phrase "Samsung Galaxy" is now almost synonymous with "explosion".

It's called "brand implementation for later actualization". Repeat a phrase long enough and attach it to certain words and feelings and the entire fear perpetuates itself.

Reminds me of how certain groups have been stereotyped.

As an iPhone 7 Plus 256GB owner, I can't begin to tell you the number of flamewars I'm gonna start using this link from Techspot.

It's called "brand implementation for later actualization". Repeat a phrase long enough and attach it to certain words and feelings and the entire fear perpetuates itself.

Okay.

Okay.

Exactly.

It's like the words have been taken away.

The argument was crushed before it could start.

Okay.

Exactly.

Lol. Be prepared again for the sammy warriors.

Like ISheep. Lol

Okay.

Exactly.

Lol. Be prepared again for the sammy warriors.

I guess I'm a newly formed Sammy warrior. I just recently changed from being an iPhone user, after many many years, to a Samsung Galaxy S7 user. The Note 7 issues were never even a consideration, I couldn't run fast enough away from Apple's walled garden of crap. All I can say is WOW, the Android platform is so much more customizable than iOS. I couldn't be happier...

I guess I'm a newly formed Sammy warrior. I just recently changed from being an iPhone user, after many many years, to a Samsung Galaxy S7 user. The Note 7 issues were never even a consideration, I couldn't run fast enough away from Apple's walled garden of crap. All I can say is WOW, the Android platform is so much more customizable than iOS. I couldn't be happier...

Im happy for you. I hope you will find yourself a lot of time customizing your phone.

Back