Votes: 3 21.4%
  • LCD'S

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • neither

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would probably be a good idea to explain why you are asking, because each has their advantages for different things.

Regarding TV, I like DLP myself

Sigh, once again another poll with no discussion to explain it.

poertner is right, and you left out dlp.

Well the argument for a long time was that plasma had a better picture but the problem was they would burn out. As the plasma has a half-life. Plasma has a wider viewing area.

Now they have both had improvements that make them equals.

LCD has their wide viewing area models and have cut down on darkness when looking at them at an angle. They also have the glossy looking screen like a plasma now.

Plasma TV's now have extended their half lives. My new LG for example guarantees 60,000 hour half life. So that means watching TV 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 20 years before my plasma hits its half life.

and DLP. well they still look the same to me

I went with the LG 50" plasma and love it

I'm going to buy one in the next year and I am having a really tough time deciding which way to go. Both look very good.

See now there is some discussion to build off of. If hamas123 would have commented a bit more we would have been off to a better start.

Generally people go with LCD below 50" and Plasma above, this is because of prices and because of resolution. Plasma is too expensive to justify over LCD below 50", and LCD is too expensive above that to ignore plasma. DLP is the quiet alternative here, and its good if you aren't super concerned about space or hanging your tv on the wall. Plasma is hard to find in 1080p at the 'smaller' screen sizes too.

Plasmas have built a fairly bad reputation off of mere speculation. Almost every person that comes into circuit city (i currently work there for the holidays), come in with this statement, "no, i don't want a plasma, someone told me they where not good". When i ask them why, 95% of them can not answer. Honestly, comparing the picture between all the pictures on the wall, the lg, and panasonic plasmas are by far the best. The only thing we have close to it is the new 120 hz 1080p samsung lcd, and thats $3800.

In the 40" range, still, the plasmas are the best price/value. Once again, the lg plasmas own the even the most expensive sony's in picture quality. People still buy the sony's, only because thats all they know.

The only advantage i can see in buying an lcd, is the non-glass screen, which is a plus for rooms with a lot of light. And even now, with plasmas with anti-glare technology, that is not even an issue.

Things are improving by leaps and bounds with LCD. Our CRT 26" packed in a few months ago and a replacement decision had to be quickly made. We went for a Panasonic TX32LXD700 which has a great 32" picture and lots of positive reviews. It has good motion display (100Hz) and the colours are impressive. Blacks are deeper than most LCDs and it has decent, wide spaced speakers. Set up was a breeze. When used for SD broadcasts, which are the norm, the picture is excellent. The viewing angle is better than the CRT which gave reflection problems from its glass screen in a situation complicated by the position of windows in the room. Really, I think you get what you pay for with any TV, plasma or LCD. The longer you can wait the better the buy is likely to be. Plasma didn't figure in the choice because we didn't want a large screen and "burn in" is an issue with plasma. If you want something really big, plasma is the way to go.

If you get a 46 or 50 inch LCD tv is that alright because you said if you want something big, get a plasma.

I read an article about this not too long ago.

It said that for now plasma is ahead in the larger sizes 50"+. The quality of the image is a lot better. And it's difficult to find smaller than ~32" plasma screens. As for the technology, they said that plasma has been in the lead for a long time, but in the past years it has made some significant improvement and is a lot closer to the plasma screen. You can find LCDs up to 70"!

I think I need to go back to the stores and compre a plasma and LCD side by side. (My eyes aren't trained too well, I can hardly pick up any differece these days!) Many people mention that at certain angles they cannot view the image correctly on the LCD or something. But I don't think I've ever experienced that.

I must agree with twite, many people chose one technology over the other becasue "someone said it was better". I think it's more a matter of taste. I have been told many times that the LCD is better, but I really like the "glossier" effect from the plasma TV's.

One of the drawbacks DLP is color shimmering. Also bulbs can be very expensive to replace.

First you have to decide how much money you are prepared to spend and how big a screen you want. Only then are you in a position to compile a shortlist. There's going to be more choice with plasma if you want 40"+ screens. Personally, I'd prefer a top quality smaller screen over a larger budget model. Read some reviews and go and see what you think might suit. Next, when you know what you want look for the best deal. If you can afford the premium brands I doubt you'll be disappointed whether it's plasma or LCD. Make sure you see the TV displaying SD broadcasts not just HD demos.

Plasma is better in my opinion.
The screen does not refresh like an LCD, the gas pixel thingys change colour when required.
Also you can see the picture clearly up to 150 degrees.

Plasma's are brighter and clearer than LCD's, at least when comparing the larger display sizes. The prices of Plasma's are much higher though

This is because LCD's have a good display for the lower price... If I had the money I'd go with Plasma

Rear Projection DLP or LCos has the best picture for the money. Just can't hang it on your wall. But I would go with LCD 1080p with a refresh rate of 120hz like the Sharp Aquos LC-52D92U.

ok this is a bit fanboy =D but ive always loved plasma's over lcd's . My parents bought a 60"inch plasma for there home theater in there basement and all i could say is it looks stunning playing blu ray movies on that badboy!

mmm, 60 inch. It depends on what the model the tv is aswell, isn't that right? Like the higher/new models will have 1080p and/or something. Doen't really matter if it's plasma or lcd then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back